BUILDING & LINKING STAIRS W. TWO SEPARATE PLANS

interiorarch

Hello. 

I am currently working on a project where I have created/traced the overall structure of a floor plan that features two floors of this house. I created both floors in two different Chief Architect documents or plans. Is there any way I can still correctly link both documents in order to have the stairs pass from one floor to the other?

If there is not an option for the information noted above, what might be the next best solution in order to create the stairs and not have to redo everything I have already created in one document. (i.e. is ther a way to just copy and paste one of the floor plans on top of the other without altering designs, dimensions, etc.) 

I have attached both Chief Architect documents along with the original floor plans to reference. 

Thank You!

FLOOR_1_UPDATE_OCTOBER.plan

Hi @solver

I did this because I have only worked on larger one story floor plans over the last year.  For some reason I thought floor plans previoussly had to be built in two different documents, I was unaware until several months ago that I could go "Up One Floor" and construct a two story floor plan. 

When I say "link," I mean just create two floors together.  Is there a way to still do this without having to rebuild the second floor with all my cabinetry, etc.

I appreciate your help!

Open both Plan A and Plan B

In Plan A (with floor 1) - create blank 2nd floor

select Plan B and use the Edit Area tool to copy the entire floor

select plan A and go to 2nd floor and paste plan B using point to point

IF both plans have the same origin you could use paste hold position instead of point to point

you will probably have to edit or rebuild the stairs between the floors

Lew

i

• Upvote 1

Just tried a quicky to approximate your problem.  This is what I did:

1.  Open your first floor plan

1a.  Save as "Whole house" or whatever

2.  Go to "build new floor" and leave the new second floor blank.

3.  Open your second floor plan

4.  Marquee select the entire plan and "copy"

5.  Go to first floor plan which is stall on a blank second floor.

6.  Paste your copy.

7.  If it doesn't line up use your "point to point" tool to align the two floors.

• Upvote 1

Chief used to do separate plans for different floors but that was many years ago now .

You should be able to Select ALL in the 2nd Floor Plan and Copy and paste it into the 2nd floor in the 1st Floor plan file which is currently Blank.

Turn on the reference display on floor 2 1st in Plan 1 (F9) so you can position the Copy and Paste accurately once pasted.

I would do this with Copies of your Original Plans so you have a backup and can try it a few times if need.

seems to work ok mostly for me, though I am not sure what the alignment point is between floors. ...

Capture6.JPG

5 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Chief used to do separate plans for different floors but that was many years ago now .

REALLY????  So Chief used to be able to Link from other files entire floors??

Wow, I really wish it still allowed that type of thing.  Not saying as the only means to do 2+ floors but rather we do a lot of projects which have different options on floors and that would be perfect.

Johnny:

sorry, but no joy with Chief 9.5 and earlier

while each floor was a separate file .pl0 .pl1, .pl2 - .pl9

they were considered one plan

I believe all the "overall" plan info was stored in .pl1 file

no ability that I ever heard of to swap out alt3.pl2 for alt4.pl2

Lew 

• Upvote 1

On 10/23/2017 at 1:29 PM, johnny said:

REALLY????  So Chief used to be able to Link from other files entire floors??

Wow, I really wish it still allowed that type of thing still.  Not saying as the only means to do 2+ floors but rather we do a lot of projects which have different options on floors and that would be perfect.

As Lew mentioned Johnny , I don't think it would of helped with your particular needs , at one point even the CAD was in a separate page/plan  but all files had to be in the same folder to be accessed or the Plan wouldn't open.

For Client Options I am always making many Save As Plans with an _Option1 (2,3, etc) extension to the Main File Plan which is usually the As Built since I do Remodelling / Renos Mainly , the chosen Option then gets resaved as _Final extension...... Maybe there is a better way?

M.

• Upvote 2