need help setting default dimensions

RandEJewell

I realize different people build differently. that being said, I am looking for information on setting my own defaults. for example. program default for residential ceiling joist are 2x6 however I only use 2x8. how am I able to change my defaults so every time I start a plan 2x8's will be the default. same for windows. id like my default as single hung rather than double hung. I'm wasting 20-30 mins every plan just reconfiguring. please help.

If you will look, using Windows File Explorer in C:/Windows/Users, Your Name/My Documents/Home Designer Pro 2018 Data/Templates/profile.plan . This plan file is the one that opens within HD Pro, each time you command "New Plan" in the "File Menu".

So if you open it directly in HD Pro and edit its defaults (DO NOT PLACE ANY OBJECTS, WALLS, WINDOWS OR DOORS IN THIS PLAN. IT IS ONLY A TEMPLATE PLAN FOR SETTING YOUR COMMON DEFAULTS LIKE FRAMING, ROOF PITCH, POTENTIAL MATERIALS ETC, DO NOT PLACE ANY SYMBOLS OR OBJECTS IN THE PLAN).

The most efficient use of  HD Pro or Chief Premier is to customize its Default Settings before creating a .plan file, per project. General Default settings should fit how you commonly create a plan as you have so hoped.

DJP

• Upvote 1

Hi:

you should follow the Hometalk forum

but HD PRO users can benefit from following Chieftalk as well

since HD PRO has many manual features like Chief Premier

just be aware of the limitations of HD PRO

and always identify when asking questions that you have HD PRO

Lew