Accurate fence post spacing as dim'd in Fence dbx?

Christina_Girerd

I don't normally check any fencing I draw to see how many panels there are of a specific size, so when I tried to do that tonight on a plan, I was surprised to find out that the dimension I enter in the Fencing spec dbx for Newels/Posts spacing is just a general guideline that for a 72" o.c. post spacing, can actually vary from 60" to 80" as drawn by Chief.  Is there some check box I am missing that would keep the 72" o.c. spacing and then have the start or end panel be short if needed?  Normally for a quick render, I'm happy to have Chief adjust the spacing so it looks better, but for real life, I want the 72" o.c. posts to be drawn as 72" o.c.    Obviously I can figure out the panels by dealing with the dimensions and dividing, but I just assumed I'd be able to quickly count the number of panels because I had entered a specific dimension.  One of those things I'm surprised I never noticed before...

Christina,

I have always thought that the Newels/post spacing was a maximum and that Chief would place as many equal panels in a railings/fences length as it can without exceeding the maximum - that's how it seems to work on my machine.

But you are saying that you can get 80" spacings when you set it to 72"?

To control the spacings at the ends, you could always place a break in the fence and then drag a Room Divider wall right through the fence at the break point.

You have to do it in that sequence for it to work properly. 

And the Room Divider has to go completely through the fence - it can't be just one side of the fence.

You can then control the length of the end panels by moving the room Divider wall.

New Image_10.jpg