Shadow problem in Full Camera View

stephanswim

Can someone please explain AND solve this problem that I am having with shadows in a full camera view?

There seem to be 2 sets of shadows coming from different directions: the light source for the baluster shadows on the walls seem to be from a source BELOW the stairs pointing upwards, while the shadows on the floor seem to be correct. There are no light fixtures in this plan, which I have attached.

Any help will be gratefully appreciated - wouldn't you know this would happen on a Friday night when Chief Support is gone for the weekend?

Thank you from

Steve Lundgren

Upstate New YorkMULLALY_PORCH_OVERSTACK[2].planMULLALY_PORCH_OVERSTACK[2].pan

SHADOW PROBLEM - send to Chief Forum.zip

Although you have no active lights there is the sun. Have you tried toggling it off. You can also open up the camera DBX and uncheck the show shadows. Also, by default, if you have no light fixtures CA automatically inserts a default light source. To disable this just place a light somewhere and turn it off.

Here is what I get: There seem to be 2 sets of shadows coming from different directions: the light source for the baluster shadows on the walls seem to be from a source BELOW the stairs pointing upwards, while the shadows on the floor seem to be correct. Also, the baluster shadows on the stair to the lower floor seems to be correct. I tried Graham's idea, as well as Eric's , but still get the same result.  Thanks for any help that anybody can give me

From all the work I have done in CA the shadows are always correct in accordance with the light sources and the sun settings. If did as I suggested you will have no shadows at all. You then need to turn say the sun on and then adjust it's position (zone, day, month) to get the appropriate effect from it. You can then add additional interior lights that depending upon their type, position, direction and strength will cast the shadows that would be expected. 

Your picture in post #5 looks correct to me.

You have no lights in your plan.  As a result, the program will automatically create a default point light in the room the camera is in.  It usually puts the default light in at the default ceiling height ( around 97" above the floor).  In your case, you have an open below room above you with a vaulted ceiling.  This means that since the default light is at 97" it will be shining up at the stairs as they go up to the second floor.

The light on the floor is from the sun coming in through the windows behind you.

To solve this problem, you need to add your own lights and adjust them to get the lighting you want.

2 hours ago, Dermot said:

Your picture in post #5 looks correct to me.

I thought the same thing when I saw it. I get the same type of shadows cast when I do similar floor layouts with stairs. Of course, in this case, "correct" means "the way Chief does it OOB." Dermot gave you the solution.