Font not displaying correctly in X9

Chrisb222

Just upgraded to X9 from X7, also had to upgrade my MacOS so I could run X9. I use a non-CA font extensively, and have since I started using CA, but X9 is not displaying the font correctly. I thought I might need to do a reboot to get it to recognize it correctly but that didn't help. It isn't saying the font is missing, I've had that before when switching machines, it displays text when I open a file, it just doesn't look right. I open the text DBX and it says the correct font name, but the text preview isn't right either. I checked and the font still displays correctly in X7 and all other Mac apps.

When I go into any text DBX in X7, or any other app, I can select the font and it looks normal. When I go into any text DBX in X9, I can select the font but it is not right.

Puzzled. Any ideas? I will have to drastically change almost all of my text defaults if I can't get this font back in line. Thanks.

Just tried uninstalling the font, rebooting, and reinstalling, rebooting.

-It still shows correctly in X7, incorrectly in X9

-All other user-installed fonts work in both programs

As a side note, Command-Q does not work for "quit" in X9 like it did in X7 (and all other Mac apps), even though the menu in X9 indicates "Command-Q" as the shortcut for Quit. ???

You may have to reveal what font you are using or even post it for others to test with if it is rare.  Also a screen shot of X7 and X9.

"it just doesn't look right." and "get this font back in line. " does leave me a little "Puzzled." also.

11 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

You may have to reveal what font you are using or even post it for others to test with if it is rare.  Also a screen shot of X7 and X9.

"it just doesn't look right." and "get this font back in line. " does leave me a little "Puzzled." also.

Thanks, good ideas. Here is a screen shot of a floor plan in X7 that shows the font displayed correctly:

Font-X7.thumb.png.e8ad7bcd9c3212dca737437d81685baa.png

I like the font because it's very narrow. When dimensioning tight spaces, it will fit better between the dimension extension lines, as you can see in the 6" wall thickness dimension.

Here is the same plan in X9, the text has defaulted to another font and is all messed up, it even caused my window callouts to enlarge:

Font-X9.thumb.png.67dcd9bce4792f94cb57668a54022500.png

I'm sure I can find another font to replace it with the same effect but it would mean changing everything in every plan. I use this font for 90% of the text in a plan.

Here is the font:

Arial MT Cn LtArial MT Cn Lt

I'm running CA on MacOS High Sierra.

Thanks for any insight...

Looks as if the font is correct as the individual characters have the same form. What is different is the character spacing(tracking), the distance between one character to the other. Are you certain that X9 is fixed on the exactly the same Font file as X7. A number of fonts come configured in several versions. Arial is a good example, there is Arial and also Arial Narrow. The narrow version is more compact like the one you want.

6 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Looks as if the font is correct as the individual characters have the same form. What is different is the character spacing(tracking), the distance between one character to the other. Are you certain that X9 is fixed on the exactly the same Font file as X7. A number of fonts come configured in several versions. Arial is a good example, there is Arial and also Arial Narrow. The narrow version is more compact like the one you want.

Thanks for the reply.

This seems to be the default substitute font, as one other user font is also defaulting to that style in CA, and it's not a sans-serif simple font, it's a display font (I was a graphic designer for 20 years and well versed in Mac fonts). The font works fine in all other programs.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

18 minutes ago, Chrisb222 said:

Got it, thanks.

Arial MT Cn Lt.zip

There still doesn't seem to be any usable information in your attachment.  There is still a file with no information and the only file that contains any data is not a valid file type.  Actually...that file has NO file type.  I'm wondering if perhaps you're not just dealing with a corrupt font file that happened to work okay for a while.

9 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

There still doesn't seem to be any usable information in your attachment.  There is still a file with no information and the only file that contains any data is not a valid file type.  Actually...that file has NO file type.  I'm wondering if perhaps you're not just dealing with a corrupt font file that happened to work okay for a while.

Hmm, I downloaded it from here and it unzipped into the same font I have on my Mac. I don't know how fonts work on your PC...

Again, the font still works fine in X7 and all other apps. It only goes screwy in X9.

Thanks for your help.

6 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

I just down loaded this font style for windows, installed it and it seems to show fine in X9. Maybe you just need to delete your current version and do a clean install.

59eb9bac515c2_WindowsArialMTLt.thumb.jpg.acda2a4f6b6d931abf451100d7cd1562.jpg

Hmm, yes, I already tried uninstalling/reinstalling the font, and it still works fine in all other apps....

Thank you.

I downloaded the font onto my mac and all seems Ok, although it does't appear to be a narrow or condensed font - quite the opposite, it appears to be stretched out.

Why not use Arial Narrow which looks to be identical, only narrower.

A stab in the dark as a last resort for Rich Text.

Open the Rich Text dbx and go to the options panel.

Under Size, make sure Cad Style Font Sizing is unchecked.

17 hours ago, glennw said:

I downloaded the font onto my mac and all seems Ok, although it does't appear to be a narrow or condensed font - quite the opposite, it appears to be stretched out.

Why not use Arial Narrow which looks to be identical, only narrower.

A stab in the dark as a last resort for Rich Text.

Open the Rich Text dbx and go to the options panel.

Under Size, make sure Cad Style Font Sizing is unchecked.

Tried that, thanks. You're right, in X9 it does not look condensed, it IS stretched out, and spaced out too. See my two screenshots above for how it's supposed to look.

Yes I can change fonts but all of my defaults, and all text using this font in legacy plans would have to be manually changed.

If the font doesn't work right for you either it must be X9, as the font works correctly on my system in X7 and all other apps...

Thanks again.

20 hours ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

The only thing I can think of is to touch base with Tech Support or hope someone else with a Mac can assist/confirm this on their system.

Is there another source for this font, if so you could download their version and see if the same thing happens.

Yes, I submitted it to tech and hopefully they can recreate my problem, that is, having it work correctly in X7 but not in X9.

Thanks again.

6 hours ago, Chrisb222 said:

Yes, I submitted it to tech and hopefully they can recreate my problem, that is, having it work correctly in X7 but not in X9.

Thanks again.

Hopefully so. I can appreciate how someone with a Graphic Design background would have no tolerance for a font substitution. I also spent a number of years in the field and you gain an appreciation for how impactful, obvious or subliminal, the characteristics of a font style can be. The one you have chosen is definitely a nice one, though very similar in style to say Tahoma it has some selective tracking applied to specific characters that just kicks it up a notch or two. Great Choice!!!

18 hours ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Hopefully so. I can appreciate how someone with a Graphic Design background would have no tolerance for a font substitution. I also spent a number of years in the field and you gain an appreciation for how impactful, obvious or subliminal, the characteristics of a font style can be. The one you have chosen is definitely a nice one, though very similar in style to say Tahoma it has some selective tracking applied to specific characters that just kicks it up a notch or two. Great Choice!!!

Thank you, and thanks for your efforts to help me. :)