How To Set Default Stem Wall Height?

HumbleChief

Larry, looking at your file - here are different levels and types of flooring.  Are the finish floors supposed to be different?

Also, some of the crawl has framed floor so what Chief is trying to do - i think - is keep the fin floor the same - so the stem would need to be about a foot taller to get that done.

Larry - Think I found it. In defaults, Floors & Rooms, Current Floor the stem Wall is set to 30". That seems to be why when you check using defaults in the floor DBX it pulls up 30". I guess when you open a rooms DBX it is getting the default from there.

I believe the elusive 12" is the difference between the 30" default set here and the 18" default set under the foundation stem wall. 30" - 18" =12"

Just another note - you mention in the video about the "minimum height" designation for the stem wall. Looks like CA interprets this as meaning this is the height I want providing there are no other conflicting parameters. If there is then it adjusts the stem wall height accordingly. Maybe they feel that most users would prefer to have a workable foundation even if the some other parameter(s) was entered incorrectly. 

Larry - just one other observation. you have a bedroom along the back (the one with the double door sliding closet). It has a separate foundation than the surrounding rooms and the foundation stem walls & footings are different than those of the surrounding rooms. Is that intentional? I ask mainly because it's stem wall height is set to 30".

Should also note that my initial concern about a possible bug as it relates to the garage defaults may not be the case. I will check further but I probably misunderstood from exactly which default settings DBX it was pulling it from. I will give myself a partial excuse on this by saying that it can be somewhat confusing, especially to a "Newbie", when there are so many different DBX's that provide access to these settings and the ability to override them. Same for the Default settings DBX, why is there a default stem wall setting under floors & rooms tab and then another set under foundation tab, should they not just be under the foundation tab, which one is really the default? or maybe I'm missing something here?

I tend to just be direct in my approach to Chief. It is a wonderful preprogrammed mechanical device which I often just ignore and make things, manually the way I need and want. Of course properly setting defaults is a vitally good idea but in the end, there is me and my intended product with Chief in the middle. I win because I am in control, not because Chief is always "right" . I make sure I am "right" always.

DJP

5 minutes ago, DavidJPotter said:

I tend to just be direct in my approach to Chief. It is a wonderful preprogrammed mechanical device which I often just ignore and make things, manually the way I need and want. Of course properly setting defaults is a vitally good idea but in the end, there is me and my intended product with Chief in the middle. I win because I am in control, not because Chief is always "right" . I make sure I am "right" always.

DJP

I agree 200% with what you are stating. Just one thought though, to be "right" "always" means one has to have a full and complete understanding of each and every relevant variable along with the outcome of any and all interactions between those variables. If one has that then being "right" is just a natural result. It's nailing the former down that can be very time consuming and certainly frustrating for many. I personally don't mind the challenge, but I can fully understand how others expectations may differ as they are likely hoping that the software engineers would take care of that side of the equation for them.

It boils down to confidence in ME and less so confidence in "it". I can make "it" produce what I need and want when I want and need it. Depending only on "it" is what I decry and ignore. I set it up in terms of default settings and then ignore it when it errs and just adjust it and drive on. I do not care how or why they programmed it and why it sometimes seems to vary in performance. I have camera tools and other manual tools to force it to my desires, no matter what apparent barriers it may seem to present. I am creative cause and it is a tool only.

DJP

1 hour ago, DavidJPotter said:

It boils down to confidence in ME and less so confidence in "it". I can make "it" produce what I need and want when I want and need it. Depending only on "it" is what I decry and ignore. I set it up in terms of default settings and then ignore it when it errs and just adjust it and drive on. I do not care how or why they programmed it and why it sometimes seems to vary in performance. I have camera tools and other manual tools to force it to my desires, no matter what apparent barriers it may seem to present. I am creative cause and it is a tool only.

DJP

Interesting perspective, for some reason the words and tone struck a cord, something familiar, I've heard that before, somewhere but where. Checked out your website, now I understand. Many Thanks

• Upvote 1

Pretty strange one Larry  , I had a play around for my own knowledge and can tell you have been in the Room DBX's alot , so it is probably best to just delete everything as suggested by Eric and start again, that works for me too , everything drawn new comes in at 18" per the new default though you need to allow (add) 1 1/2" for the Sill Plate if you want a 18" high concrete Stem Wall.

Weirdness like this will certainly drive you crazy :) 

Your plan after my deletions and a redraw.....

Humbles_stem_wall_height.plan

14 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Pretty strange one Larry  , I had a play around for my own knowledge and can tell you have been in the Room DBX's alot , so it is probably best to just delete everything as suggested by Eric and start again, that works for me too , everything drawn new comes in at 18" per the new default though you need to allow (add) 1 1/2" for the Sill Plate if you want a 18" high concrete Stem Wall.

Weirdness like this will certainly drive you crazy :) 

Your plan after my deletions and a redraw.....

Humbles_stem_wall_height.plan

Thanks Mick, Yeah there's something in my template that adds 12" to the stem wall min. height. May never be able to locate it but it's workable knowing same. The plan I posted came along after lots of time and lots of techniques to try and get the foundation to build auto. I deleted the foundation, changed every room's framing and defaults, and tried every change but that 12" remained. It's not difficult to simply get an 18" stem wall but building it auto just wouldn't happen with that plan.

There are ways to accomplish things in Chief but sometimes the multiple default layers can be very confusing as what over rides what and when. For example if you set to build the foundation with walls with footings it will not build that foundation as long as the floor above is defined any other way. So the defaults of the floor above override the foundation settings. Then any floor structure tends to follow one or more defaults like Floor/Ceiling platform or maybe Current Floor default. It is indeed learnable but is as confusing as I have ever seen a software program behave.

Again thanks to all for the input and help.

EDIT: I see you did indeed delete EVERYTHING on my template plan to get the correct results. May have to do the same one day but my templates are treasures I hesitate change without a lot of forethought.

14 hours ago, johnny said:

I really think the key is the fact one of the room is being framed with i-joists (sunken). 

I tried the plan with many many different framing defaults and configurations, always with that same 12" added in for the stem wall height. Like I just posted above it's not that hard to simply create an 18" stem wall but hard, considering the multiple defaults, to get one that behaves as expected every time, unless starting form absolute scratch.

3 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

Thanks Mick, Yeah there's something in my template that adds 12" to the stem wall min. height. May never be able to locate it but it's workable knowing same. The plan I posted came along after lots of time and lots of techniques to try and get the foundation to build auto. I deleted the foundation, changed every room's framing and defaults, and tried every change but that 12" remained. It's not difficult to simply get an 18" stem wall but building it auto just wouldn't happen with that plan.

There are ways to accomplish things in Chief but sometimes the multiple default layers can be very confusing as what over rides what and when. For example if you set to build the foundation with walls with footings it will not build that foundation as long as the floor above is defined any other way. So the defaults of the floor above override the foundation settings. Then any floor structure tends to follow one or more defaults like Floor/Ceiling platform or maybe Current Floor default. It is indeed learnable but is as confusing as I have ever seen a software program behave.

Again thanks to all for the input and help.

EDIT: I see you did indeed delete EVERYTHING on my template plan to get the correct results. May have to do the same one day but my templates are treasures I hesitate change without a lot of forethought.

I found that if I didn't delete the Floor on level 1 the issue remained, (marquee select>delete didnt fix the issue) so I used the easy Delete Floor command to do that , but as you noticed it Deleted your "Warehouse" too .....the easy fix there is to Marquee select the whole "Warehouse" and Copy it  ( don't paste yet)  go up to Build>Floor> Delete current Floor for both level 1 and 0 (foundation) , now Insert a Floor if you no longer have a level 1 ( may only have Attic Level now ) , NOW right click on level 1 and chose Paste Hold position and you should have your "Warehouse" Back.

Or just download this plan :) ...... seems to work ok now for me ...see saved cameras.

Humbles_stem_wall_height_2.plan

3 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

I tried the plan with many many different framing defaults and configurations, always with that same 12" added in for the stem wall height. Like I just posted above it's not that hard to simply create an 18" stem wall but hard, considering the multiple defaults, to get one that behaves as expected every time, unless starting form absolute scratch.

Is there supposed to be about a foot difference in actual elevation of your fin floor?  When I open the file, frame whats there and cut a section it appears as if there is about a foot difference in fin. floor elevation (see attached).  Also, since the joists are "dropped" its trying to match the top of stem wall with the top of fin. floor so your joists "plane" together.  I'm not a Chief guru but I believe this could have something to do with the issue...

fl_level.png

Thanks for the continued effort Johnny but the framing you see was after many tries to get it right. It doesn't matter how it's framed or with what, it just picks up 12" from somewhere when trying build the foundation auto. Easy to get the stem walls right after the fact but it's the template no doubt, hanging on to 12" from some hidden setting.