Wall Material Region Problems?

ACADuser

Working with the little house I have two issues in the Master bath.

One with the mirror crossing over two wall types. The mirror on the frame wall wants to sink into the drywall so much that it is not visible on the block wall.

I aligned the drywall plane bet I could but maybe that is still the issue. I added a mirror on both areas but the line between them is too obvious.

How do you align the drywall surfaces perfectly?

The other issue is the corner in the dropped shower. The wall tile material will not join in the corner.

Thanks for any enlightenment

CA Mirror Object.JPG

CA Material Reg..JPG

Gulfport.zip

Just played with this. Yes with a material region the union where the two wall types meet seems to telegraph through. Only shows up for me when in vector mode and only at certain camera angles. The sample posted shows it running through the material region(grey) but does not telegraph through when I placed a picture frame from the library. This frame is placed partially into the wall. Maybe using a partition or polyline solid instead of the material region would solve this issue.

59e76bc91d3e0_Untitled3.thumb.jpg.1034cb99ed6eb29ae05b450242b815f0.jpg

To make sure your wall surfaces in the bathroom are exactly in the same plane, just draw a CAD line a few inches out (in the bathroom) from the wall and then dimension to the drywall surfaces on either side of the wall type changes.  Then take the measurement for the thicker wall and copy it ... then paste into the other measurement for the framed wall.

I would not use a material region for a mirror.  Who on earth would build one that way.  Why not just get a beveled edge (all glass) mirror from the library and resize as needed?

Still looking into the corner issue. 

Not sure what you are doing with your tile material regions regarding that corner.  I turned off "Display Main Layer" to see how your layers were lined up.  Your material region(s) appear to be buried in the wall layers.  Maybe that's the source of your problem?

BathCorner.thumb.JPG.961c021f2fd4163fc6580fb447b4b615.JPG

I would not use a material region for a mirror.  Who on earth would build one that way.  Why not just get a beveled edge (all glass) mirror from the library and resize as needed?

Well tile is "applied" to the drywall surface. Here in Florida a Mirror is "applied" to the drywall surface in a similar way.

They use a black mastic applied to the drywall & the sheet of glass is pushed into it.

I could use the beveled mirror but the glass is often not beveled. I'll look in the library.

That is quite an involved process simply to align two walls

There's probably an easier way using snaps ... someone will chime in with a better answer than I provided, I am sure.  I am not sure that your walls weren't in alignment ... if not, they were only a tiny bit (thousands of an inch) off.  I just find that when you have different wall types joining at a corner, that sometimes a CAD line and a couple of measurements is a sure way to make sure the desired layers line up ... and it really only takes a minute or two to check.  We all waste more time than that doing other crazy things with Chief.

Does it really matter whether the mirror you use has a beveled edge or not in the plan?  Just change the name of the material ... no one will know the difference.

Regarding that corner ???  It seems to have something to do with the fact that your material region is cutting through the wall layers and being applied directly on the block wall while above the tile, the drywall and air gap overhang the top edge of the tile.  Is that how/where (layer) the tile will be installed - (i.e., directly on the block wall surface (or do you need to add that 1/4" dimension to the backer board))? 

I will look a little more but have to get going on my own stuff shortly.

5 minutes ago, ACADuser said:

Well tile is "applied" to the drywall surface. Here in Florida a Mirror is "applied" to the drywall surface in a similar way.

They use a black mastic applied to the drywall & the sheet of glass is pushed into it.

I could use the beveled mirror but the glass is often not beveled. I'll look in the library.

That is quite an involved process simply to align two walls

If the material region represents something that is applied to the walls finish surface(layer) then you should uncheck "Cut Finish Layers of Parent Object". This will position your material region and all of it's layers as they would be in real life, from the drywall surface and towards the rooms interior.

However, the line will still show through. The grey area here is a material region placed on the surface and the underlying wall connection line is still telegraphing through it. As mentioned before, it only shows for me at certain camera angles in vector view.

59e7764437e8a_Untitled5a.thumb.jpg.6856394b2f4fb4662697508fcb5904a4.jpg