How to create a hybrid view

andypapamarcos

I find that glass house can sometime be very helpful to figure out how things are built, but sometimes it is difficult to show or share those views with people who are not used to them. So I wanted to create a hybrid view where some things are Glass, some are Standard and some are Line Drawing. Turns out, CA makes it pretty easy. Create a layer that has only those items you want in each view - for example in this picture, walls are glass house, floors are Standard and cabinets are Line Drawing. When you have the view you want, select each layer set in turn and do 'Export - Picture' making sure to pick your rendering technique first and also to check the box to make the background transparent. Then using Photoshop, stack the three drawing on top of each other and save the composite.

Still playing with this and suggestions are welcome!

Andy

1st floor hybrid.png

• Upvote 2

That looks great Andy.  Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work.  You might be able to skip the Photoshop step if you could export directly to layout with transparency, or even indirectly as you are now doing things it might still be possible if all generated from the same camera.

Chopsaw - thanks! Seems the option to send to layout does not preserve transparency or at least I couldn't find that option.

Here is one more example of a hybrid, this time with the cross section slider where the first view is Standard, then select the opposite slider using the same value for the cut point with Glass House and merge the pictures. I scaled it down to a smaller size this time. Anyone have other ideas on how this might be useful? If this was useful and not just a novelty, I'm sure CA could assign rendering techniques to each layer in a view set or assign a layer set to each rendering technique and make the views real time.

Andy

second floor slice hybrid.png

Now you are getting really creative.  There are all kinds of potential uses, it just depends on the client and project details.

Sorry I may not have made that very clear about the transparency.  I should have said "If we could export directly to layout with transparency", meaning that it would be a great feature for you to suggest and show your examples in the suggestion forum.  Likely many other techniques that could also benefit.