MindBender

Good Afternoon All!

Hope Thursday treats everyone well!!

I've read a lot of "tricks" used by other users concerning the Wall Texture/Siding Type/Custom Pattern called "Board & Batten" which is a prevalent siding type used to clad today's structures. The issue I have is I want to create a Parametric, stretchable, expandable siding type like that of, say,  "Siding-6", without having to manually create the siding type itself. (see inclusive PDF) How would this be accomplished.... step-by-step.... and not look stretched out, and show up in Ortho, Full Color Camera, and other views with the current depth depicted in my PDF? Client's are more sophisticated concerning our computer models, and thus, want (and pay for) the detail they rightly deserve. Thank you all for your input in advance!!! Great Day Everyone~!!:D

2 x 6 Board & Batten Detail.pdf

and maybe someday, Chief will update the siding libraries or get the siding mfrs to give us comprehensive "bim information" on their entire available product line. I don't understand the omission of CertainTeed's Board & Batten Siding from our library. At the very least, Chief could give us a Generic board and batten with color match capabilities. Please add the attached siding product line to our siding libraries.-thanks, Brad

They give us such a huge amount of great library "usefull" stuff (counter top paper towel holders and floor mounted TP holders?) but grab bars and towel holders don't come with dimension friendly or accurate centerlines for proper placement and sizing (a continuing beef for moi). and I appologize to the great programmers who are doing a job that is way beyond my knowledge or capabilities when I couldn't even grasp Basic Fortran's 1's and 0's enough to create punch card's to do a simple 1+1=2 program in 1975! Just once in awhile I wish they would give CAD dummies like me, a month or year to draw live in front of you so that y'all could see how many of us "real world dummies" use and abuse your excellent program.-cheers and beers from Up Over to the Right(East Coast, not political ideology).-bB

CertainTeedBoardandBattenSiding.PNG

Edited by Archnot-Boltz
spelling correction

I agree that more manufacturer's textures would be nice.

But Board and Batten can't really be done as a texture because they need to cast shadows relative to the sun position.  For that reason, you need to use a 3D object.  I find the best solution is to use moldings for the horizontal pieces and wall material regions for the vertical pieces.  Both of those will be automatically cut by doors and windows and since they are actual projections from the wall surface they cast shadows correctly.

4 hours ago, dshall said:

It is a shame the vector view  (pattern) is does not reflect the batts correctly.

It does in the Mastic library but the only one that has texture and patterns is the Grey (see attached). Too bad, because it displays better in both vector and standard views.The others have color but no pattern. Chief's Wood Bd & Batten has both but the battens are Iny's , more like a T-111. As far as Certainteed's (in the Bonus Cats, I missed seeing  them for some reason, my bad.).

Thanks for pointing it out Eric, I had found the Chief B&B and forgot about it too. Just call me Senior Momento's.

CertainTeedBoardandBattenSiding.PNG

MasticBoardandBattenSiding.PNG

VerticalBdnBattn-Mastic-Chief Elevation.PNG

VerticalBdnBattn-Mastic-Chief StandardView.PNG

VerticalBdnBattn-Mastic-Chief Vector.PNG

• Upvote 1

I haven't explored all the options for this and, really, I just had an idea and threw something on the wall to see if it would stick, but how about this: 

I had already created a wall type with 1x3 furring strips to create a rainscreen gap, so after I built the wall framing and the furring strips showed up, I thought the same could be applied to battens.  What I did was to create a wall type with the outer-most layer being a framing layer of 1x3's spaced at 16" oc to represent the battens.  Then you have to build wall framing for them to show in 3d and on the plan, and set auto-framing to "ON" to update the battens when editing the plan, etc.  The problem is that if you have to delete battens that aren't spaced correctly, or there are just too many (like at corners) you have to turn off auto-framing and you're back to square one if you change anything.

What you end up with are individual framing parts that are similar to psolids but are somewhat parametric, albeit very limited.  Addionally if you're just looking at the model without the framing, that exterior layer of battens will show up as one plane of material and cover the "boards" which, in this case, I just used vertical siding.

Board and Batten experiment.plan

This has been played around with on and off for a few years , below is a library I made about two years ago (thank to a GlennW Tip i think it was) after playing around with rain-screening like AgChief , it has 3 custom wall types and the materials I used to make the Batten material , have a play and see what you think.... Same approach should work for the OP's Walltype I think.

- If you don't see the Battens , you haven't got the Framing Layer On in that particular view... ( or haven't built framing if not on automatic)

- Only down side is some manual work at Windows and doors if I remember correctly in Elevations etc .... 

- make the cedar layer ( 1x6.8 or 10) 11/16 thick and the batten 11/16 too, then you wont get Z-fighting if your window and door trim is 1 1/2 inches thick eg 2x6

this is the post where we were discussing this last time with more info :

another old thread and some pattern files

and a quick play on a test house tonight....

Capture15.JPG

Capture16.JPG

Capture17.JPG

Board & Batt.calibz