Roof Drawings need Projections from a roof plane

Doug_N

So here I am again, back at the fountain of information.

A contractor is asking for flat projections of roof plans to assist his carpenters in laying out the rafters.  

I can see how to do elevations, and I can see how to do plan views, but is there any way to do a skewed plan from horizontal projection or section for that matter?

Doug Norton

Whitby Ontario

905 409 8487

Doug, I'm lost...i've never heard of the type of plan you're suggesting.

If a contractor asked me to provide "flat projections" i would take that to mean basically like a truss diagram except for rafters.  Something kinda like below but for every "rafter" segment just like a truss package would include.  I have had framers ask for this before.

I can't see how what you are describing would help them.  Something like this at every rafter - depending on roof complexity - would.

the-common-rafter-ns-3-638.jpg

Glenn,

The idea here was a projection of an individual roof plane.  Just imagine rotating the house so that you are perpendicular to the surface of the roof.  That is what the contractor is looking for.  One could then directly scale rafters along a ridge.  This is a hip roof, not a gable roof.  So he is looking for a rough cut list for each hip rafter.  I see his point actually.

Doug

As Glenn and Johnny already pointed out, there are several other ways to get that type of information.  In addition to what they said you can also use a framing schedule or a custom macro solution.  If however you still really want the skewed projection you speak of, you can do this...

1. Turn off all layers except those that you actually want to show
  2. Convert the whole plan to a symbol
  3. Rotate the symbol onto its side using the Symbol Specification Rotation settings
  4. Create a section view for each roof plane (may require rotating the symbol more than once depending on the model)

You could also optionally create separate symbols for each and very roof plane using layer settings, the Delete Surface tool, or by copying and pasting each individual plane to a blank plan.   You can then do the same thing I went over above...Rotate the symbol and then just use a section view.