Moving footing in section

capitaldesigns

I have a client that has made a small change on the plans that have already been competed.

The change will require an interior footing to move 10". I want to move the footing in the section

view. I made the section a CAD detail from view since CA did not show all of the top plates and

did not show the blocking between the rafters correctly.

Now I want to move the footing 10". When I pick the line of the footing nothing happens, I can

pick all other lines such as wall lines, rafters, blocking, etc., but I can not pick the footings.

I thought when I made a section into a CAD detail I would be able to manipulate all of the lines

of the detail. Does anyone know why I can not click on the footing lines in the details and is there

a way I can move the footing. I do not want to generate a new section since this section has all

of the notes and detail callouts. If I was doing this in AutoCAD it would take me about 10 seconds

to move the footing.

Thanks,

Mike

11 hours ago, capitaldesigns said:

I have a client that has made a small change on the plans that have already been competed.

The change will require an interior footing to move 10". I want to move the footing in the section

view. I made the section a CAD detail from view since CA did not show all of the top plates and

did not show the blocking between the rafters correctly.

Now I want to move the footing 10". When I pick the line of the footing nothing happens, I can

pick all other lines such as wall lines, rafters, blocking, etc., but I can not pick the footings.

I thought when I made a section into a CAD detail I would be able to manipulate all of the lines

of the detail. Does anyone know why I can not click on the footing lines in the details and is there

a way I can move the footing. I do not want to generate a new section since this section has all

of the notes and detail callouts. If I was doing this in AutoCAD it would take me about 10 seconds

to move the footing.

Thanks,

Mike

This is the reason I keep all my sections live, move the footing , the plan changes everywhere. In fact my whole plan is live except for details. No cad details from view for me.

• Upvote 1

On 10/10/2017 at 10:45 AM, DRAWZILLA said:

This is the reason I keep all my sections live, move the footing , the plan changes everywhere. In fact my whole plan is live except for details. No cad details from view for me.

Perry - would you post a PDF view of your typical live sections to show us how well this works.  A picture is worth...well, you know.  

Thanks!

Here are a couple of typical live sections, I use sections as a general view, and details of all connections etc. are on the detail pages, and noted on the framing plans. everything is very live all the time but I do use the auto detail tool for the insulation and conc. fill. Auto detail is very easy to redo if needed, just select the line tool and hold down the shift key and select all the cad stuff, delete and hit the auto detail button again, it's back ,in all of 5 seconds.

section 1.PNG

section 2.PNG

My best guess is that your footing lines are on a locked layer and this is why you can't select them and move them.  If this is not the case, then you should probably post your plan and I bet someone could figure it out pretty quickly.  If all else fails, you can always contact tech support for more help.

Regardless, I think you are much better off working in the actual model rather than converting it into cad.   That way you can keep your elevations and cross sections live and don't have to worry about trying to modify all of the cad or keeping it up to date.   If you move your footing in your cad detail, then you will still have to update the display in any other views that might need to show the same footings.  If you modify the model instead, then all of your views will be correct without having to keep doing this error prone work.

You can adjust the size of the footing in the wall specification dialog.  You can even offset it sideways when needed.  If you need to extend the footing out past the end of a wall, then you can just add a wall break and make the end section invisible (yes, invisible walls can have visible footings).  Should only take about 10 seconds.

As far as your earlier problems with top plates and roof blocking, I have no idea why you were not getting the results you expected but I am fairly confident that you could have also solved them in the model rather then having to convert it into a cad detail.