MASTER BATH | PASS-THROUGH | WALL NICHE | ISSUES

interiorarch

Hello.

Please see Attached screenshot & Floor Plan to use as reference.

I am currently working on this project in Chief Architect. Almost everything you see in this floor plan was also created in the other program SketchUp.  The other designer I work with has provided me with a couple different cabinet & wall units to import into Chief directly from SketchUp.

First:  I have noticed both .DWG and .3DS import as a one color default, is there a way to have more flexibility to spray specific areas of that unit (with the paint roller) like choosing colors & finishes for regular cabinetry & hardware in Chief Architect. 

Second: If you look in the master bathroom you will see the screenshot with a pink circle I drew to highlight a specific area between where the exterior and interior walls meet.  If you now look at the other screenshot that is in 3D/Perspective Floor Overview you will see the mirror is suppose to recess into that specific area of the wall.  However, since two different types of walls are connecting at this point, this creates an awkward situation.  I tried creating a Niche/Pass-Through but Chief would not let me.  

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank You!

10 9 17.jpg

master_bathroom_niche_issues.png

FLOOR_2_UPDATE_WINDOWS_UPDATE_OCTOBER.plan

53 minutes ago, interiorarch said:

First:  I have noticed both .DWG and .3DS import as a one color default, is there a way to have more flexibility to spray specific areas of that unit (with the paint roller) like choosing colors & finishes for regular cabinetry & hardware in Chief Architect. 

Likely the easiest way is to assign those colors in Sketchup and then they can be edited in Chief if necessary.  The model can be rebuilt in Chief but it is fairly complicated.  Michael made a video of the technique that I will look for if you like.

56 minutes ago, interiorarch said:

Second: If you look in the master bathroom you will see the screenshot with a pink circle I drew to highlight a specific area between where the exterior and interior walls meet.  If you now look at the other screenshot that is in 3D/Perspective Floor Overview you will see the mirror is suppose to recess into that specific area of the wall.  However, since two different types of walls are connecting at this point, this creates an awkward situation.  I tried creating a Niche/Pass-Through but Chief would not let me.  

A wall Niche is essentially a window and it will not insert into a situation like that.  You will likely need to create a symbol and then cut a hole in both walls at the intersection and custom frame the area.  Or better yet and much easier make the vanity 4" smaller and the shower 4" larger and build an extra wall so you are not cutting into an exterior structural wall.  There was an old CA training video on symbol windows but I looked and could not find it under the new system. 

• Upvote 1

Hi @Chopsaw

What is the best way to import SketchUp files from Chief Architect if colors have already been assigned to a specific interior element. 

Do you happen to know a tutorial/video related to creating a symbol and cutting holes in walls...these are things I still haven't learned. 

The other option of making the vanity smaller and shower larger can not happen.  All other dimensions on our floor plans at this stage are final.  

I look forward to hearing from you!

Suggest you reconsider and do something along the lines of Chopsaws suggestion. IRL the sanest way is to at least fur the wall out to deal with framing and that part is exterior. Make a wall type for the furred section. You will give up at least 1-1/4" somewhere in the vanity run. The attached gives up a little more but wall framing is simpler.

screen 016.png

screen 015.png

23 minutes ago, interiorarch said:

What is the best way to import SketchUp files from Chief Architect if colors have already been assigned to a specific interior element.

If you create the symbol in Sketchup with independent colors you can then import as .SKP and edit all those colors independently in the Materials tab of the Symbol DBX.

25 minutes ago, interiorarch said:

Do you happen to know a tutorial/video related to creating a symbol and cutting holes in walls...these are things I still haven't learned.

I was going to suggest using Joe's Hole in the wall tool but since he designed that maybe his suggestion will work better.

But take a look anyway because it works for all kinds of other cool things as well.

I will check back later about the symbol.

• Upvote 1

@Chopsaw 

When I import SketchUp files from the other designer I work with, Chief Architect pops up with "Warning - This SKP file was created in an incompatible software version.  Unable to import" followed by "Warning - Couldn't create a symbol.  There were no 3D surfaces found in the data file."  I am working in Chief Architect Premier X8 and she is working in SketchUp Pro 2017   (which seems like both programs should be able to work with one another, since they are both still releavant).  Is there a way around this. 

Thank You for sending me Joe's (aka Yoda) article and I look forward to hearing from you!

18 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

I was going to suggest using Joe's Hole in the wall tool but since he designed that maybe his suggestion will work better.

But take a look anyway because it works for all kinds of other cool things as well.

Thanks Chop. 

There are pro's and con's to both.  In this particular case the advantage to using the Niche Tool is that it will cause the wall to frame correctly.  The advantage of using my Wall Niche Symbol is that it will span wall intersections (among other things).

There's more than one way to "Skin a Cat".  ;)

You can also make your own symbol if you like from a customized Chief Niche. 

Here is an old tutorial of mine for Door Muntins but you can just ignore the muntin steps and the other core steps are the same.

You would be best to save the Niche as a general symbol and not a window.