Error Message - reinstall

Mardie

See attached error message.  This comes up about every week in the few months.  Tech support told me to uninstall and reinstall.  I have done it at least 10 times.  Anyone else having this problem.  I'm on x9 and have been a Chief Architect user for at least 15 years.  

Chief Architect warning.PNG

Some AV programs may think a dll is a threat and will consequently take action to prevent it from executing. 

If that's the case then setting an exemption in the AV software should solve that problem.  Note that you would need to set up the exemption after the Chief install and before the AV software performs a scan.

I make sure that any exe's and dll's for legitimate apps (not just Chief) are exempted in my AV software.  That's just a good practice.

I'm having the same issue (different .dll file - see attachment) - Any quick fix?

I'm dead in the water with a full in-box!

I uninstalled my McAffee completely because I couldn't figure out how to do the 'exemption' Joe mentions

Nor do I understand the "Updating your signature..." comment as well.

ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED!

Windows 10 / Chief X9

CAError_101517.docx

Thanks Dermot, I did just that after my posting.

Everything is working fine, for now...

Any ideas why these .dll files get corrupted?

Tech support blamed McAfee (I removed it earlier)

Frustrating!

I'd hate to have to go back to ACAD due to Chief's 'instability'

I thought anti-virus programs were "on our side" so to speak.

Unfortunately, a few years ago my BitDefender AV software corrupted my user profile so that I (the ONLY one in this office) could not access ANY files.

Including all my (AutoCAD @ the time) CAD files on the Monday before the Friday deadline... talk about stressed!

Never heard of Eset, but have used Avast

Really appreciate all the great support responses from you all.

Boy as a Chief noob, I'd sure like to pick your brains for all your hints, tips & secrets.

I did uninstall/reinstall and everything is good.

Thanks again

AV software (not all) sometimes finds an exe or dll that appears to be infected - or is just suspicious.  When that happens it adds the "name" to a list of files to "block" or "totally eliminate the contents" by setting the length in the file header to 0.  If there's a legitimate file by the same name the AV software can really mess things up.

I think some AV software actually comes installed with a list of "block these files".  I can't say for certain that McAfee does it exactly this way but it certainly causes problems in some cases - however it makes the determination.

Not all AV software takes this approach - but some do.

• Upvote 1

On 10/9/2017 at 8:31 AM, Joe_Carrick said:

What version of Windows are you using?

Updating your signature with your system info may help get to the bottom of your problem.

Just my thoughts...

I use McAfee and was having the same issue with X5-64-bit (see my other posts regarding this). I uninstalled X5-64-bit and installed X5-32-bit and have not had the issue since. I did talk to McAfee after seeing posts that McAfee was the issue - they say if the AV software did quarantine a file, it would be logged and not set to zero file size in it's program location. With the many occurrences while attempting to find what was causing X5-64-bit to crash, there was nothing in the McAfee logs indicating that McAfee "touched" or quarantined the DLL files. Just trying to make sense of this, I could reinstall X5-64-bit to see if it occurs again but CA X5-32-bit is working fine so far and I can get my work done.