CURVED SHOWER WALL WITH "STORE FRONT GLASS PANELS"

Lynsey_FP

Hello all.... 

I feel like I am doing the near impossible but have gotten my plan so close to what we are trying to accomplish. I have a curved shower wall, actually a completely round shower with half of the wall being glass panels that looks similar to store front windows with 2" metal framing. Very modern house. After trial and error, again and again and again I have accomplished what is in the picture attached. I have the windows set to look like glass panels and are mulled together. There is a door in the middle with the same type of framing. As you can see in the attached picture, the top and bottom of the curved wall still shows itself even though my window panels are floor to ceiling. IS THERE ANY WAY TO GET RIDE OF THESE EYE SORES? We started with curved metal framing but our client wants to to be more angled like shown in the picture. I have tried many different ways to show the metal glass framing on the wall but this is the closest I have got. PLEASE HELP! I have Premier 7. (please don't judge the surroundings. still a work in progress.)  59d6ace424d3c_PICOFSHOWERWALL.thumb.JPG.224b2638ecbd03889a31ae2a544ce975.JPG

Don't use curved walls.  Use walls that are at the angle you want for the windows.  Since you are putting windows to effectively replace the wall (no wall, only windows), it doesn't make sense to use a curved wall at all.

Hard to tell exactly without the plan but you should be able to make a single layer wall definition with and invisible material but unfortunately it will only work in Standard view and not Vector veiw or make your windows just a little larger and bury the wall segments. 

1 hour ago, Lynsey_FP said:

IS THERE ANY WAY TO GET RIDE OF THESE EYE SORES?

If you're happy with the shape and don't need curved glass you can take what you have and copy it to a blank plan.

Take a 3d view, then use the delete surface tool to get rid of those areas you don't want, then convert to a symbol.

IF you want curved glass

It can be done with molding polylines and likely a few solids for verticals

OR

attached was made from a curved front cabinet. A bit more complicated but may I understand what to do there better so here is ...

Door for it was made using a wall cabinet-1/2" deep, 1" separations, side panel inset for the front. For the side panel inset (glass) made a door symbol that was 3/8 thick converted to a cabinet door symbol, then alter the origin (trial and error), and restrict it's ability to resize the depth by setting stretch planes at 2" and -2" for depth.

Used that in a bow front cabinet- sides and back set as openings. 3D view, delete surface, convert to symbol. Image shows cabinet and completed symbol.

screen 010.png

screen 009.png

• Upvote 1

I'd like to point out that designing something digitally is far different than designing something that actually needs to get built and then function in its design.   I can think of all sorts of serious issues trying to use commercial curtain wall glass panels for a shower wall like that.  Perhaps you have answers but just suggesting you consider everything.  Good luck.

4 hours ago, johnny said:

I'd like to point out that designing something digitally is far different than designing something that actually needs to get built and then function in its design.   I can think of all sorts of serious issues trying to use commercial curtain wall glass panels for a shower wall like that.  Perhaps you have answers but just suggesting you consider everything.  Good luck.

I assumed it was custom of some sort though I've only seen custom curved done in frameless. If they were flat I'd guess the intermediate "rails" would likely be simply applied. In any case, pricey but someone would do it (In my old line of work I'd tell folks "If you know someone who does it don't call us" :)

15 hours ago, javatom said:

Don't use curved walls.  Use walls that are at the angle you want for the windows.  Since you are putting windows to effectively replace the wall (no wall, only windows), it doesn't make sense to use a curved wall at all.

I attempted to use angled walls but the windows would not go all the way in the corner like I am needing them to. Unless there is a trick that I do not know about, I played with it for hours and this is the closest solution I found. 

14 hours ago, MarkMc said:

If you're happy with the shape and don't need curved glass you can take what you have and copy it to a blank plan.

Take a 3d view, then use the delete surface tool to get rid of those areas you don't want, then convert to a symbol.

IF you want curved glass

It can be done with molding polylines and likely a few solids for verticals

OR

attached was made from a curved front cabinet. A bit more complicated but may I understand what to do there better so here is ...

Door for it was made using a wall cabinet-1/2" deep, 1" separations, side panel inset for the front. For the side panel inset (glass) made a door symbol that was 3/8 thick converted to a cabinet door symbol, then alter the origin (trial and error), and restrict it's ability to resize the depth by setting stretch planes at 2" and -2" for depth.

Used that in a bow front cabinet- sides and back set as openings. 3D view, delete surface, convert to symbol. Image shows cabinet and completed symbol.

screen 010.png

screen 009.png

I will attempt your idea. I had originally made the shower wall in curved glass. The customer came back with the contractor and said they want a "store front" like wall. I then made a curved wall with the glass panels and sent it off. They came back and wanted them to be angled like the drawing I attached. The thickness of that wall has to be 4 inches but I am not sure how thick the glass will be. That is for them to determine if it will truly work or not. Thank you for your help! 

I would agree with Joe about this.  I have all kinds of red flags flying about using a store front window as a shower wall.  At a minimum, I would get it in writing that this was someone elses bright idea.

The best idea I could come up with would be sections of shower glass that sandwich metal "storefront" curtain wall members.  For showers you need to have smooth surfaces - especially on the inside.  This is a top view section, but as you can imagine the horizontal members would span between the columns.  The door would be glass between the columns but straight.

There are many other things to work out but I do think something more along these lines would be doable....

shower.png

On 10/6/2017 at 0:24 PM, javatom said:

I would agree with Joe about this.  I have all kinds of red flags flying about using a store front window as a shower wall.  At a minimum, I would get it in writing that this was someone elses bright idea.

I can see why there would be red flags with this kind of design but do you have any specifically that I can bring up in our meeting?