Cabinet Schedules

jennyultimate

Hello fellow designers & architects!  I am new to Chief architect after moving from 20/20 because my design jobs were getting more architectural in nature. I just pulled a cabinet schedule from a very large custom kitchen I am designing, and the schedule is very basic and does not even say whether the cabinet is a drawer base vs a regular cabinet with doors, let alone any custom mods I made to the cabinets. I looked in the manual for instructions and there are not any that address this issue.

Is there a way to get it to list the customizations I have made to each cabinet or even to notate basics like drawers vs doors?

Please help.

Thanks

Jenny @ Ultimate Designs

Jenny:

not sure about Schedule versus ML

I rarely use Schedules and have never used the ML (other than testing)

while Chief is very capable for modeling and can create a decent ML

if you work and understanding it and learn the "ways"

I suspect you will discover that it is NOT 20/20

some chiefers have posted that they use both

some start with 20/20 for selections and pricing - then model in chief

some start with the chief model - then after client approval - use 20/20 for selection and pricing

you should be getting replies from chiefers who have used both Chief and 20/20

and Schedules/ML

with further tips/tricks

NOTE:  even CA states that the ML is only as accurate as the model

so each workaround used in the model has an impact on the ML

Lew

Some of that information can be encoded into the cabinet label.  If you show the label column in the schedule, it should use default labels to distinguish between a drawer bank and standard drawer over door cabinet. 

As far as customizing the schedule, you can modify the labels as needed.  I think most people probably also include information in the comments section.  You can open up the "components" dialog for any cabinet and specify any custom notes in the comment section which would then show up in the cabinet schedule.

FYI: -- All of the info you asked for is in the component list for each Cabinet.

if you don't like the descriptions, you can edit them, but be advised if you then subsequently change a dim, that edit will be erased.The component list is directly copied to the material list, so you'll get a complete listing there. If you want more info add subcategories to the component list.

Most of the info you are asking for is not avail in the schedules but you can add manually via sub-categories The sub-categories will not be erased.-- Check Chief's videos.

Finally some generic info is available via Ruby macros -- but that's another tune?

Thanks everyone for the tips. I do a lot of kitchen and bath remodels and I use a local custom builder so the label is worthless but I will use the sub categories and the cabinet components and add a custom description too. 20/20 was really for kitchen and bath designers who sell cabinets. I am independant and use custom builders mostly so I don't even need pricing info as every project is different (custom).

Thanks again, these tips will help!

• Upvote 1

Jenny,

Once you have your cabinets with the sub categories....

Save them in your Library (create a sub folder for them) and then use those instead of Chief's generics.  That way you won't have to constantly go in and edit each cabinet, adding the sub categories and the data.  What's in the Library can be used complete with any project.

I've done this with Doors, Windows, Cabinets, Appliances and Plumbing Fixtures.  I even have some Cabinets with Appliances and/or Sinks stored in the Library with Mfr Data.  If you do most jobs with the same design elements it's a lot faster than messing around with generic cabinets, etc and then having to do a lot of editing.

While I only recently learned how to get info in the component list that doesn't delete when modifying a cabinet... So far I find it somewhat useful- to a point and worth saving "some things" to the library. 

In my work it doesn't come near preventing constant editing to get a schedule that includes modifications and accessories. Perhaps, if you work with only one supplier or don't have to do any ordering, maybe. Then again if you spec a number of mods often, deal with perpetual client changes then it won't, there are too many combinations.

I use 4 mfg-  most custom but even my semi custom brand is very flexible. Even the custom uses codes for standard mods and accessories. Then there are cabinets whose "label" changes based on accessory (I have one brand with 24 different trash pull out cabinets standard; each with it's own code)

There is no standardization between brands, each one that I have uses a different set of codes. It is not uncommon for each cabinet to have an accessory or two along with 1 to 5 mods. Pretty much every job has at least a dozen different mods, a third of which need specific sizing information per cabinet per job.

I believe this, rather than pricing, is the biggest obstacle to widespread adoption of CA by kitchen folks. (the majority of brands now have on-line ordering and only a few work directly with 2020)  On the one had-manipulating CAs schedule to correspond with cabinet numbering callouts is fabulous compared to 2020 getting the information into it- with mods and descriptions- is primitive by comparison.

To add mods for in 2020 you find the mod in the list- (lightning compared to navigating CA's library)

- highlight the cabinet and double click the mod- if there are sizing options needed a dbx pops up then presto...

- the info attaches to the cabinet and ends up in the description. (there is also a user catalog if needed.)

It is so fast that I've often, after design is final in CA, opened 2020 to generate a complete list- export to spreadsheet- delete a few rows and columns, run down a column to number, and copy and paste. I'd posted a suggestion for this back a ways but didn't get much interest. (Back in X3 the "Craftmaid" with a C catalog had mods listed that may have gone onto the component list but I was a newbie then so couldn't figure out what they did)

I'd love to be able to simply add a category for mods in my user catalog and be able to click them to add to an items component list- at worst edit the dimension of an extended stile or such. (so much of the Component list is simply irrelavent anyway)

So far the best alternative (at least what I'm trying lately) is to generate a schedule in CA and adjust the number sequence.

Then convert he schedule to text, copy and paste into spreadsheet and add mods and alter labels- print to pdf and bring it back in. So far this is the fastest.

The downside to any of these options is that I'm working in multiple programs neither gives me "live" checkable information that corresponds to the model. (component list doesn't either with all of Chiefs workarounds for cabinets)

What I need is something that I can use to order- good drawigns, good codes, good specs.

2020 's drawings and dimensions are inadequate, CA is inadequate for ordering information and has too many workarounds, ProKitchen fails at custom cabinet but is getting close and AutoKitchen had zero keyboard support last I checked- so here I am  -I use Chief  and... Life is a workaround :)

• 4 months later...

And while on the topic of cabient schedules - I know I'm not the first to ask to open an time dbx from the schedule - it can take a few clicks to get to an item (appliance garage bleow a staked corner upper) in plan, it's cumebersome boulding from plan to elevation to schedule, yadayadayada

Another feature that would be nice would be a dbx option to have the item dbx display the schedule number (and ideally the ability to lock it) as well as or instead of the nomenclature.

• 7 years later...
8 hours ago, rwaldrondesigns said:

I'm a bit stumped, there is the option in the cabinet schedule to add the category of "accessories/inserts", so it seems strange that the only way these show up are in materials lists! Though, maybe this is a new thing and this discussion is from 2014 ;)

More than a few changes since then.

First image shows one way to add an accessory as a pull out and have it go into that column for a schedule-for doors objects added from library as shelves work, as do those added to the back of a door.

image.thumb.png.7f2777a11b869bdf603718b870b12fc6.png

Second Image is how to add text for ANY modification using a "custom object information field" to go it into a schedule.

image.thumb.png.9477d3aa70abd80e0b764e288d01320d.png

image.thumb.png.b9ecb21d667c5ae647a26bab942d0881.png

Either or both of these can be done quickly by making a style palette from the cabinet and adding to library. (which requires a bit more info, I may put something together on that in July or August depending on work)

15 hours ago, MarkMc said:

More than a few changes since then.

First image shows one way to add an accessory as a pull out and have it go into that column for a schedule-for doors objects added from library as shelves work, as do those added to the back of a door.

image.thumb.png.7f2777a11b869bdf603718b870b12fc6.png

Second Image is how to add text for ANY modification using a "custom object information field" to go it into a schedule.

image.thumb.png.9477d3aa70abd80e0b764e288d01320d.png

image.thumb.png.b9ecb21d667c5ae647a26bab942d0881.png

Either or both of these can be done quickly by making a style palette from the cabinet and adding to library. (which requires a bit more info, I may put something together on that in July or August depending on work)

learned something new from this!

3 hours ago, mkennedy2000 said:

I had already downloiaded the library, for some reason CA istn picking up downloads in my downloads folder, gotta figure out the path or something.

they don't install themselves..........

Library>Import Library (Calibz Files)

image.thumb.png.fec6c4540c3935172333b951b920067e.png

2 hours ago, mkennedy2000 said:

I dimly recollect knowing how to get them to install themselves, but apparently I misremember. the vagaries of age. Anyway, thanks, that saved me some RTFM time and worked perfectly :)

Double click them in your downloads folder when Chief is open.