Crazy numerical values

glennw

Scott,

It doesn't look like scientific notation to me.

Scientific notation is expresses as a number (less than 10) x 10 to the power of a number (superscript a - the number of places you move the decimal point to get the number to be less than 10)

Its a weird one because it doesn't seem to save with the plan.

It is more system specific than plan specific.

Chop,

If I reboot Chief and open the same plan, the problem is gone.

So not a custom unit as far as I can figure.

I have sent it in to tech support.

Ahha,

Thanks Scott, that clears it up a bit.

I could sort of see a relationship between the correct dimension and the displayed dimension being scientific notation, but i wasn't aware of that incarnation of scientific notation - it's been a long time since I was at school!

A variation on Scientific notation called Scientific E Notation.

A sort of "shorthand" scientific notation.

We'll see what tech support has to say as to why it is happening.

Glenn,

Check the Scale of your Plan.  That should only happen if the scale is way off.

btw, this only happens when decimal units are used.  Since my Plans are Imperial using ft-in ('-") Chief converts internally and the Scientific E notation is irrelevant.  With Metric Plans if the scale is "wonky" you could get that result.  I'm not sure what the ratio would need to be, but a very large number of mm would cause Chief to return the Scientific E notation.

• 1 month later...

Glenn I think I win the prize if you have not heard back from tech support yet.  I brought a plan forward that had a custom defined unit for an antique survey of 1 Lot = 66' and because that was not defined in the newer version it defaulted to one inch.  And this dimension was displaying with a value of 1 so 66'= 792" and maybe it makes sense somehow.  Problem Solved.

Missing Unit Default.jpg

Chopsaw,

We have narrowed it down to a corrupted units.dat file - the file that contains the unit conversions.

And yes, I did have some custom units that look like the culprits.

I deleted the units.dat file and let Chief auto create a new one on the next session.

I haven't seen the problem for a while now, so maybe all is OK.

But I have still to redefine my custom units. 

My problem seems a bit different from yours.

Every numerical value (dimensions, values in dbx's, etc) were displaying as Scientific E Notation values.

• 2 months later...

Glenn, 

Sorry to hear you have not been able to resolve this issue.

Is it happening in a fresh plan or default template or plans brought forward ?

Can you figure out if the mathematical relationship makes any sens like my issue did.  Maybe a Meter measurement using Millimeter units ?

So then does it suggest which unit is corrupted and does my example fit the same scientific notation formula ?

If I have the math correct my example would work out to 790" or 65.8333' so is it rounding off at some point ?

I assume you sent a plan file in to tech support and it worked fine for them ?  Indicating the issue is in Preferences.