Drawing on a layer

tds_cc

A small thing that helped me to understand is that in Chief you dont draw on any layers.  Layers in Chief are simply the graphic representation on a particular floor.  Its very different than other apps this way.

You are "placing" things or shapes on a floor.  Those items are connected to layers so far as in their visual properties only. 

On 9/29/2017 at 3:37 PM, johnny said:

A small thing that helped me to understand is that in Chief you don't draw on any layers.  Layers in Chief are simply the graphic representation on a particular floor.

Johnny,

That isn't really true. 

• All 2D CAD (lines, arcs, text, dimensions, annotation) is drawn on the "Current CAD Layer". 
  • 3D Objects (walls, doors, windows, cabinets, appliances, framing, etc) are drawn automatically on their specific Default Layers.

There are 2 basic ways to change the "Current CAD Layer"

1. Click on the little dbl square icon with CAD in it (by default it's in the 2nd tool bar at the top of the screen).
  2. Set it up in your Annosets so that when you select the "Plot Plan Annoset" it will automatically select the "CAD, Plot Plan" layer.  Annosets also allow you to specify the layer and other properties for dimensions and other annotation objects.

1 hour ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Johnny,

That isn't really true. 

• All 2D CAD (lines, arcs, text, dimensions, annotation) is drawn on the "Current CAD Layer". 
  • 3D Objects (walls, doors, windows, cabinets, appliances, framing, etc) are drawn automatically on their specific Default Layers.

There are 2 basic ways to change the "Current CAD Layer"

1. Click on the little dbl square icon with CAD in it (by default it's in the 2nd tool bar at the top of the screen).
  2. Set it up in your Annosets so that when you select the "Plot Plan Annoset" it will automatically select the "CAD, Plot Plan" layer.  Annosets also allow you to specify the layer and other properties for dimensions and other annotation objects.

Joe, Im near certain your wrong about that.  For instance, you cannot draw something on the 1st floor level say attached to "CAD Default" layer and then turn on that layer in the 2nd floor or roof level for the same items to display.   Likewise, the same layers on different levels/floors can have altogether different items to display.

In ACAD, Vectorworks etc etc you could draw/model floor joists for the 1st level on a layer, and then turn on/off that layer with any corresponding level/floor since the joists are actually on the layer.  Due to this, you'd have a layer for say "1st floor joists" and a layer for "2nd floor joists" which are specific to its own "z" value.

In Chief the same generic layers names are used by default no matter what level/floor you are on.  This is a fairly huge dichotomy to get over coming from other apps since its not intuitive at all if your background is in 2D cad.

• Upvote 1

Johnny,

Layers and Floor Levels are two totally different things. 

1. Everything in Chief is assigned to a Floor Level (aka Floor Number) which can't be changed.  This is the Floor Level that was active when the object was created.
  2. Everything in Chief is assigned to a Layer which can be displayed or not in any give Layer Set.  The Layer of annotation objects can be controlled by how the Annosets (Active Defaults) are set up.
  3. Most items can be edited to be on whatever Layer you want - but they will then be on that Layer in all Layer Sets. 

On 9/29/2017 at 2:22 PM, tds_cc said:

How do I draw on a certain layer? For example, when I'm in Plot Plan view, when I try to draw a rectangle, it wants to put it on CAD, Default. But I actually want the rectangle to be on CAD, Plot Plan so it shows up in my Plot Plan view.

You can contact me if you like (my email and phone is below). It sounds like I draw pretty much the way you want. I can explain what I do and yes, it's all about using annotation sets.

• Upvote 1