Ridge_Runner

I am considering going to a TV for a monitor in addition to my 24" HP monitor. My existing HP runs at 1920x1200 native resolution thru a DVI connection. I could possibly go to a 4K TV but that may be overkill for me. My eyes are tired and don't work as good as they used to; I have been looking at monitors for many years. What would you guys suggest that you know works. I am mostly concerned with clear linework and text size/clarity on the new one. I believe Joe uses a 55" to keep his plan on and others, I guess, for his various views and menus. I know some of you may use just one TV with everything on it. I don't want to open Pandora's Box here with all of the variations but I am hesitant to go to a TV without some guidance from those who use them for Chief. I believe my 1070Ti card with 4gb will handle it OK. Any problems running a 1080P TV and a 1920x1200 monitor together? I guess the text clarity is my biggest concern, now that I think about it.

TIA, Mike

On 2/10/2017 at 10:53 PM, CharlesVolz said:

Check an old post regarding SEIKI 4K TV's used for monitors. I have and 39" and a 42" that work great and are inexpensive. They make bad TV's (in 2015) because of the refresh rate which does not affect their use as monitors. I bought the 39" for under $400, then wished I would have bought an even larger one. (I came from a 27" monitor.) The 42" is better for me than the 39".  I cannot go any larger because it sits on my desk and a larger monitor would make my neck hurt because of the viewing angle. I moved all of the icons to the bottom which helped a lot.

1 hour ago, Ridge_Runner said:

Hi, Perry. I seem to recall you mentioning in the past that your eyes are not as good as they used to be either. :) How does the text look, zoomed out on a plan, at 1080P? What size TV's are you running?

I have a 42" tv and a 37" monitor off to the side which I use for photos and libraries. You can adjust the text in windows settings, still have to zoom sometimes, can't get away from that.I'm pretty sure every video card today has more than one HDMI port.

1 hour ago, Electromen said:

Does you video card have HDMI?

Yeah, it has 3-HDMI, 1-Display port, and 1-Dual-Link DVI-D port, which I am currently connected to. My 24" HP can also be run from HDMI I think; never have hooked it up that way; seems like HP recommended the DVI when I first rec'd it and hooked it up.

1 hour ago, CharlesVolz said:

Check an old post regarding SEIKI 4K TV's used for monitors.

I remember this post now that you mention it. Wasn't sure how far back it was.

I've been using a 37" tv since 2008

I have it set about 8' away and I have it set for 720P due to my eyes

I think it works fine for chief

clients were able to sit back and see it without having to sit shoulder to shoulder

I wasn't able to use HDMI or DVI back in 2008

someday I will replace it

it has a fairly large dead area due to a ceiling light in a prior apartment

it bugs me sometimes but not enough to replace it

be aware of intense lighting hitting the screen - it can kill pixels

Lew