Suggestions for client measuring walls?

Richard_Morrison

I had a client ask me yesterday for measurements of most of the interior walls, that is, the available free space (like corner of room to door casing), so he can think about where art could go and possible built-ins. Unfortunately, the client 3D viewer doesn't have a built-in measurement tool. I'd like to do this with as little pain as possible, and if I could get the background grid to print out with the PDF, that would solve the problem.  But it doesn't. So far, I've thought about:

1) Teaching him how to print to scale and use an architectural ruler. (Time intensive.)

2) Using a screen capture to get the grids. (But then not to any scale, but this may be the easiest.)

3) Putting a molding polyline in each room, and set to show lengths. (No control over where numbers display; numbers often display over walls and over each other.)

4) Giving him a file to use with the client viewer program. (May be beyond his computer skills, and I'm not enthusiastic about providing native Chief file.)

Any easy approach I'm missing?

Interesting dilemma Richard,  I was actually contemplating putting in a suggestion for printable Grid lines this week which would work for things like this.  However you can lay one out fairly quickly with the multi copy tool and a couple of gray cad lines.

I have been fooling around with 3D PDF recently and it has the option to measure within the 3D Model.

21 minutes ago, solver said:

This came up on HomeTalk recently.

My suggestion was to create a 12"x12" slab and replicate it.

ht1.thumb.jpg.4994d5625db481db06ad82509f0b35ef.jpg

Seems like a lot of work. BUT, it did make me realize that adding 12x12 floor tile everywhere is pretty easy, and then showing the floor materials. Duh, why didn't I think of this before.... So, thanks!

We get this request.  Here's what we do:

1 - Put a fill in the room - with a 12" cross hatch grey grid.  But that will sometimes obscure things, so next option is...

2 - Make Room Polyline, with exterior room - gives you a closed polyline.  Put 12" cross hatch grey grid on that, move to back group.

1 is mostly what Richard describes, except you don't have to change floor material.

2 is mostly what Charles describes - quite possibly entirely what he says!!!

• Upvote 1