Grouping objects & CAD block rescaling

tds_cc

Question #1: Is there a way to group objects together? I drew an elevation of a baluster using lines and arcs. I'd like to group these objects together and I thought I could create a CAD block, but I when I select the object, there is no icon at the bottom for creating a CAD block. 

Question #2: When I am successful in making a CAD block, I would like to be able to resize it in one dimension and then explode it, but it won't let me. In my old drafting program I was able to do this and found it to be quite useful. Is there no way to accomplish this in CA?

Feldstein.plan

It would be really nice if I could create what my old drafting software called components. I could group objects together and create a component. If I wanted to change the component, I would double click on it to open it, make the changes, and it would change all of the other ones too. Is this possible with CA?

47 minutes ago, tds_cc said:

It would be really nice if I could create what my old drafting software called components. I could group objects together and create a component. If I wanted to change the component, I would double click on it to open it, make the changes, and it would change all of the other ones too. Is this possible with CA?

Yeah, no such luck - there is NOTHING like this in Chief.  You can create a symbol but that symbol becomes a singular object and you can't edit sub-parts.  Also, there is no dynamic instancing of symbols - you'd have to replace each instance manually. 

Completely and utterly sucks.

Here is a great video by Michael the should help you out :

If you find this helpful you may want to subscribe to his channel as he has built up a quit valuable library on advanced subjects not covered in chief training videos.

As for your Baluster you might be better served by creating a millwork symbol that can be used in a railing.

2 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Here is a great video by Michael the should help you out :

If you find this helpful you may want to subscribe to his channel as he has built up a quit valuable library on advanced subjects not covered in chief training videos.

As for your Baluster you might be better served by creating a millwork symbol that can be used in a railing.

Yeah, that may be the best workaround but lots of issues as Michael points out.  Every other BIM app i know has a true instancing feature for 2d and 3d - which is really helpful.