Matching Fascia With Different Roof Pitches

MTL-Homes

Trying again to attach .jpg . Should show problem of fascia not matching when different pitches intersect in 3D.  In real life not a problem, just trim the fascia off flat on the bottom of the steeper pitch or make the appropriate miter cuts. post-549-0-40989300-1405475068_thumb.jpg Constructive replies only please.

Until one of the CA power users is able to comment, I'll offer up one possibility, which in essence you already suggested. It is somewhat of a kludge so you wouldn't want to do this until the house design is 'finished', at least the roof portion. 

1) Take elevation views of areas with issues and create polyline solids by tracing over the existing facias. 

2) rebuild roof with but turn off the 'facia' in the structure dbx.

3) hopefully the polyline solids will now be correctly located (may have to do some adjustment in plan view). 

4) cut off or miter the offending ends of the polyline solids by adding or adjusting polyline solid segments, as you suggested for 'real life'

One thought - from the image I have been assuming that this is a two story house with the second story being being set back from the first floor. I bring this up because on page 69 of the users guide of X6, they discuss building a 'gull wing' roof, which is what this would look like without the 'dormer'. For the 'gull wing' roof, CA correctly builds the facia. I'm not a roof building expert but there might be some tips in how the 'gull wing' roof is built that could apply to your situation.

Those roof planes need to connect not just crash into each other very closely. Use the hot key "2" (default) to connect. in plan view select one of those roof planes on the adjoining edge and then hit the hot key, this will highlight the adjacent roof and then you can select the proper edge to connect.

I've had lots of problems with fascias and frieze boards not building properly, even with roof planes that have been "joined" by CA. Sometimes the trim will show up properly during one session, then will disappear during another session. Sometimes there seems to be no rhyme or reason. Everyone in my office runs across this problem.