window bumpout

djhplanning

Does anyone know how to get rid of this garbage under this manually drawn box bay window.  I followed the tutorial in the chief architect knowledge base but they didn't address the exterior.  I also tried using the automatic box bay but couldn't figure out how to have 2 windows vs. just one.

Capture.JPG

Having the same issue as Dan...  I like the ease of using the box window, but why cant we add another window(S)? And why doesn't the "one" window come in with the defaults (type, casing, etc.)?  So, if you want more than one window, you have to make one manually.  Follow that tutorial and it has you create a room, raise the floor, and put a door way as the opening.  See the attached, this is what you get on a first floor room.  It thinks this is a room so foundation adjust to catch, the terrain cuts away, and terrain features.    

Can't post plan (contract reasons), but this is something the experts on here should be able to duplicate with their own CA.

Thanks for the advise in advance.  

box 1.jpg

box 2.jpg

7 hours ago, dshall said:

I added my method to Eric's plan.  See if you can spot the differences......  both methods have their advantages.

Now change the size of both bay  windows and note the behaviours.  Neither is perfect.

Overall Eric's method might be better

Box Bay Demo A dsh 1.plan

It sure would be nice if we could select that opening in 3d view, without the casing having to be on. That's a real PIA.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, solver said:

I used a doorway to create the opening in the pony wall.

Yeah,  that is what I thought...  I am not at 'putter to verify,  watching golf,  2 way tie for fed ex championship now....  good stuff....then I can switch over to Watch Perry's Chargers. (They were my Chargers back in the day).

Thanks for all your answers guys...i did get it to work by making wall go thru and then adding a pass through.

Yes a real PIA not being able to select opening without case or frame being on...whats with that?

This seems like a problem CA needs to address,..this box window issue...why so complicated and why hasn't this already been done????

Come on CA...

I dont understand why people aren't using the "box window" tool.  Works fairly good for this situation.  I do think CA could improve the tool for sure - but for what you want I think its ideal.

Why aren't people recommending the tool designed for this?  There must be a reason.

18 hours ago, solver said:

I want a box bay with 3 windows across the front. A fixed unit flanked by casements.

How would I do this using the Box Bay tool?

1. I fully agree that Chief needs to let us add modify windows much better in those objects.  Somewhat insane we can't.

That said, id put forward its more simple to add some mullions (psolid) in a single large window than it is to mess with the structure.  The OP had an example of a mulled (double) hung window config which would simply be adding a psolid in the middle of a large oversized single or double hung window.  Again, to me that seems more simple.

You could do that with more complex window configurations but i do think this is a fairly quick workaround.  I just threw a very simple mullion in there but it could be more accurate.

window1.png

mull.png