Chief Architect Crashes Often On My Mac Os

Kenneth_Miller

Is there anyone out there who is having "Serious Error" problems with their CA?  I recently purchased the CA Premier software and it crashes about once a day.  I am running it on a brand new MAC Book Pro, 2.3 Ghz i7 chip, 16 G DDR3 ram, retina screen, the whole nine yards.

I have send all my reports to the service tech but they have not been able to fix the problem.

I like the program and see the possible streamlining of my construction drawings, but can not be productive enough when it crashes daily.

Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance.

Kenneth:

X6 is the first version written for the Mac

there are bound to be some issues

there are Chiefers using Macs with X6 and I haven't seen

too many of them complaining about daily crashes - or even frequent crashes

your best bet is to continue working with CA's tech support

if they can't help - I doubt if any of the users here can either

Lew

Is there anyone out there who is having "Serious Error" problems with their CA?  I recently purchased the CA Premier software and it crashes about once a day.  I am running it on a brand new MAC Book Pro, 2.3 Ghz i7 chip, 16 G DDR3 ram, retina screen, the whole nine yards.

I have send all my reports to the service tech but they have not been able to fix the problem.

I like the program and see the possible streamlining of my construction drawings, but can not be productive enough when it crashes daily.

Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance.

Chief crashes are often associated with memory issues. Back in the days when most computesr only had a half gig of ram, crashes were a common occurrence in camera mode. That's when I came across a problem solver.

The undo/redo feature in the "preferences" is often set to 10 or more. Narrow it down to one or two...or try turning it off altogther. The program won't be sending your comptuer into overdrive while trying to record snap shots of the ten previous mouse moves.

In fact, turning off the undo feature will result in a noticeable increase of speed on very large plan files.

Not saying that this is the solution to your crashes, but it may be a way to mitigate the problem.

I use a MAC  and I have very few complaints.  But the complaint I do have is big.

Scott, you've got me curious now. Is your complaint documented elsewhere? If so, how might I find it (URL, search topic, etc)?

If not, and at the risk of hijacking this thread, would you elaborate, or start a new thread? 

Thanks!

Hey Barton ,  yeah,  I will elaborate,  I have to have a PC in the office to print to PDF  because if I print to PDF on the MAC.  the file size is about 85 MB vs 4 MB'S on the PC.

A real PITA to switch back and forth from the mac to pc and back to mac.

Except for this,  I love the mac over the PC many times over.

Thanks Scott.

Do you know if the "PDF printer" is part of CA or part of the MAC OS/drivers? Seems strange that if it were under control of CA that they wouldn't produce identical results.

Not being a MAC user, I'm assuming the 'mac over PC' is not driven by CA MAC functionality v. CA PC functionality (which I assume should be essentially identical) but is the 'MAC v. PC' theological discussion...  :)

Thanks.

It is out  of CA's control.  I think they are talking to some muckity mucks somewhere else and THEY (the muckity mucks somewhere else) are working on it.

Being a layman who knows very little,  I think it is a problem that is easily solvable,  but what do I know?.....   and I am still waiting.  

The obvious first thing to do if you have a crash on the Mac is to check to see if you have the latest update. We have fixed some crashes.

Frequent crashes on the Mac are not something that we want to put up with. Please work with our support team to narrow down the cause. There are several reasons why there may be crashes on the Mac that don't occur on Windows, but no good reasons. We want to track these down and fix them, assuming they are ours.

We have seen some issues with Video drivers on the Mac. Early in our Beta program Scott Hall had a poblem that we ended up needing to work around.

Chief stresses hardware a lot more than your average software. This can cause a failure in the hardware to appear to be associated only with Chief. So it is not out of the realm of possibility that a crash is indicating a hardware failure. However, that is not my first assumption.

I have a Mac, and I too have semi-frequent crashes. Save and quit CA as much as you can stand it (every 30 minutes or so) and that will limit the issue. This is not a big deal for me because it helps me remember to back up the file to a flash drive and my cloud storage.

Like Scott, I also print PDF's on my Windows machine. The average file size is around 1/10th the size of the Mac PDF files. 

I've run X6 extensively on both platforms and I have not noticed a huge difference between the two (other than the above mentioned issues).

I get the odd crash, but I definitely wouldn't say it's often. Maybe once or twice in a week. I have my autosaves set to 5 minutes (the OOB default I believe), so I usually don't end up losing much work even if I do have a crash. 

As for the PDF file size, yes they are larger, but I'm not getting anywhere close to what Scott says (85MB). For me, it's still manageable and not worth switching back and forth between Mac and PC just to create a PDF. Here are the file sizes for the last 6 CD's I completed:

11x17, 15 pages - 13.1MB

11x17, 5 pages - 8.6MB

11x17, 14 pages - 12.7MB

11x17, 9 pages - 8.1MB

17x22, 9 pages - 10.9MB

17x22, 12 pages - 7.7MB

The last one I did with Bluebeam before switching over to the Mac version was 17x22, 14 pages - 2.8MB.