Building Sections

johnny

For me, building sections are a PITA to get "clean".  9 of 10 times I end up making tedious sections by capturing the view in a CAD detail for line-by-line edits.  Is that what most people are doing, or are you guys spending tons of time trying to get the dynamic section to be clean enough to work?

Post the ones you are having issues with.  I always enjoy a challenge when I have time and it seems many others have the same addiction.  A glitch in a view usually indicates a glitch in the plan file so if I can I try and track them down.

I still use plot lines to layout (no color). CA has done a better job of cleaning up the views and I don't do near the editing I did years ago. With that said, I still have some cleaning to do. I add whiteout boxes and CAD lines sometimes in the view itself - works pretty good. Framing is usually one of the biggest culprits. Where the section is taken can sometimes show weird framing I just don't want; I don't have to do much cleaning in layout anymore but always some.

I'm not sure that it has to be an "either/or". Generally, I try to keep sections live, but I also turn off a lot of extraneous detail keeping them very simple and add a few CAD touches where it might help. I look at sections really just as a place to show floor-to-floor heights, and to use as a diagram for referencing the "real" details. 

3 hours ago, Richard_Morrison said:

I'm not sure that it has to be an "either/or". Generally, I try to keep sections live, but I also turn off a lot of extraneous detail keeping them very simple and add a few CAD touches where it might help. I look at sections really just as a place to show floor-to-floor heights, and to use as a diagram for referencing the "real" details. 

Yeah, I like that approach too - but in some ways I find making a cross section with poche fills can be almost more challenging - and then I end up with an odd mix graphically.  It would be nice if Chief had an option just to product a more simplified section that had poche fills.

Doing all live elevations.  It is a bit tedious at times to drawing in the detail we want, but it has been faster overall.  I've attached a few examples of typical cross sections.  These take about 20-30. min each and we do about 5-6 per plan for a average custom home.  Has really saved us time in some cases where modifications are made to the plan and they automatically update with only a few adjustments. 

Once you get the first one done on a project, the following ones usually go faster since you can copy and paste a lot of elements over to the next cross section.

We used to do all cross sections as all CAD lines, but going to live has cut our time in half at least.

Example Elevations.pdf

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Designsyko said:

Doing all live elevations.  It is a bit tedious at times to drawing in the detail we want, but it has been faster overall.  I've attached a few examples of typical cross sections.  These take about 20-30. min each and we do about 5-6 per plan for a average custom home.  Has really saved us time in some cases where modifications are made to the plan and they automatically update with only a few adjustments. 

Once you get the first one done on a project, the following ones usually go faster since you can copy and paste a lot of elements over to the next cross section.

We used to do all cross sections as all CAD lines, but going to live has cut our time in half at least.

Example Elevations.pdf

That is a nice example.  Can I ask if you are using normal sections or back-clipped sections?  Your line-work in the section appears to be back-clipped but the fact you see building in the background suggests its a normal section.

I can't get my normal sections to be this clean.  I get better results with back-clipped but then I lose the building in the background - or, if I extend out the backclipped section I end up with too much overlapping of structural elements.

2 hours ago, johnny said:

Yeah, I like that approach too - but in some ways I find making a cross section with poche fills can be almost more challenging - and then I end up with an odd mix graphically.  It would be nice if Chief had an option just to product a more simplified section that had poche fills.

+1 for poche fills, these would also dress up perspective overviews when the cross section slider is utilised.

The other issue with section view is that of the auto detailer does produce section fills for the cut plane areas, but it doesn't auto update when you update the model, rather it puts the newer section fills on top of the existing ones, so before you click on the auto detailer make sure you have cleaned up the former section fills in that section. Just a thought, in case not aware of this.

42 minutes ago, yusuf-333 said:

Overlapping framing members in section view can be cleaned up by using layer display options. Mostly I create a layer that contains the spescfic trusses I need to show in section view.

Very Nice Yusuf,  I had not though of that concept.  Happy 60 since I missed your 50 th.

Also handy to have your Auto Details on a dedicated Cad Layer so they can be more easily edited or deleted.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, yusuf-333 said:

Overlapping framing members in section view can be cleaned up by using layer display options. Mostly I create a layer that contains the spescfic trusses I need to show in section view.

That is a good idea - thanks.

One area i have an issue is some walls are "filled" and others aren't.  Any ideas on why that is the case?  When I say filled I mean its almost like the sections are picking up the color and giving walls in the same plane line as the section a fill.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, johnny said:

One area i have an issue is some walls are "filled" and others aren't.  Any ideas on why that is the case?  When I say filled I mean its almost like the sections are picking up the color and giving walls in the same plane line as the section a fill.

Yes,  As Yusuf was starting to explain faces are filled and cuts are not and it would be great if this worked better and showed fill for the cuts that are not cross sections.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Chopsaw said:

Yes,  As Yusuf was starting to explain faces are filled and cuts are not and it would be great if this worked better and showed fill for the cuts that are not cross sections.

What is odd, for me at least, is I dont get consistent results.  Sometimes whole wall sections are filled, and other times they aren't.  Sometimes I get cut walls that are filled and others times not.

15 hours ago, johnny said:

That is a good idea - thanks.

Johhny

The times you encounter the inconsistent fills is probably because walls that are different in type, if I am not mistaken. It means one wall type is checked to show insulation in wall dbx setting and the second is not, so the later will automatically pick the color of the fill in plan view. Chief is actually showing the color fill in section, but it is actually a polly line that allows you to set any custom fill you may want. 

BTW.

In our area we build hollow concrete blocks with R.C structural framing and truss/purlin roof framing. Thanks to Chopsaw, he has helped me to have live sections with correct truss/purlin arrangement.

sect.pdf

I keep everything live and use the auto detail to cover up any problems with the section. I may also use a blank solid fill p-line for any additional cover up of stray lines. Most of my problems come from slab floors, But its an easy fix. Of course I also use a special anno-set for sections only to make it pop.

22 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

I could make it

Scott aren't you very tired from your cruise vacation, no relaxation at all I bet.

Thanks P.,  sounds like JPC can make it,  I will set it up.

Yeah,  trying to get over jet lag but not too bad.  

Hear is a pic from a castle looking down at our ship coming down the river to meet up with us in Breibach.

8 days of castles and cathedrals,  I am now ready for some tract houses.

IMG_0503.thumb.JPG.e082f1350bed8281a595a133a99467b5.JPG

59c576fe3f24f_ScreenShot2017-09-22at1_45_56PM.thumb.png.a6749bbce9ea915d44922fee42bd9ecf.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-22 at 1.45.46 PM.png

• Upvote 1