Floor beam used for header?

johnny

Just now, Chopsaw said:

Johnny,  What are you up to ?   Why not just edit the wall detail if it is something that Chief can't do on it's own.  The headers should already be there in some form or another and available to be edited.

Its actually the visual issue for my framing plans - which i attached.  I want a single line for the header like normal beams to show in the framing set.

Yeah, the headers themselves in 3d space aren't as much the issue.

header.png

So for your situation a heavy cad line would work fine if it came with a label.  There seems to be a serious inconsistency as to how chief displays door and window headers, but I think that has been discussed and requested before.  We will just have to see if chief was listening when X10 is released.

We use the beam method when the "header" spans several windows or doors, like at a pair of garage doors when doing a portal frame - both those are not mulled, giving the Chief system no reason to think the headers should be combined.  And we like the way it can show in our framing plan with the same graphics (two line, filled) as our other "beams".  

And we use the header in the wall system other times.  

And - we don't do materials list.  The beam-in-wall-header does not displace any wall framing, not the way a beam will influence newly generated floor framing.