Hopping Windows

Ginkgohouse

Good Afternoon All - 

Having a frustrating time with a seemingly simple dormer.   (2) small shed dormers on a simple gable roof.  I have the face walls and cheek walls in the right location, have a window sized and header set, primary roof set, hole in roof set - and then when I click the walls walls to " walls cut roof " the windows "pop up" along Z about 80". The cheek walls are rendering neatly inside and out, however the face wall is a complete mess. 

I guess my main question is what is driving the window moving?   Even the Window DBX still has it at 73" to top even though it is no where near that.

Goal - Tight renderings in 2nd floor including dormer walls. There will be no "knee wall" at the eave.

Picture and plan attached

Thanks - X7 

dormer 1.JPG

Dormer - 1.plan

Right now, the face walls think they are interior walls. If you add invisible room dividers horizontally across, say, at mid-cheek wall, the windows are much happier since they are now in an exterior wall. You may still have some issues with the roof plane, but it's a start.

EDIT: You should consider moving the display of the lower roof up a story so that you can show the intersection of the dormer roofs correctly with the main roof.

Thanks Richard !

The invisible walls did help a bit.  Great suggestion.

FYI I keep the shed roof on the floor above so the walls do not get confused on which to " cut at roof ". That has seemed to work in the past. 

So looking at it closer - with the invisible walls - I have the walls with no modifiers, then add the roof hole, open and close the roof, select the 3 dormer walls and click to cut at roof, the open and close the roof - at this point things fall apart - the roof hole generates  correctly (see Dormer 2 picture), If I open the roof again the hole somehow regenerates (see Dormer 3 picture). At no point does the face wall cut at the roof.   I have quite a bit of dormer experience but this house is a real head scratcher !

dormer 2.JPG

dormer 3.JPG

Some things to try:

1) Change upstairs rooms to "Bedroom" or something that has proper room definition.

2) Move No Locate invisible walls so they aren't aligned with face of wall.

BTW, you are only moving the DISPLAY of the first floor roof up to the second floor; you are not really moving the roof itself. It doesn't get confused, and then you can adjust the dormer roofs to meet the main roof correctly. (See the automatic points being generated.) Your dormer roofs are a little shy of the main roof. You can move down afterwards, if you wish. I hope Wendy will chime in, because she's the Dean of Dormers, and I'm just mucking around.

Dormer Plan.jpg

Dormers.png