Too Many 3rd Party Library Objects Causing Slowdown?

JonBDesigns

Hi Everyone!

I am working on a 90k square foot remodeling project for Veterans' and up until this point I have had zero issues or lag from my hardware or the Chief Software.

I recently imported over 375 3rd party 3D objects in order to accommodated the design requirements of the project. A majority of the objects are 2017 Sketchup (.skp) files from 3D Warehouse. Some of the objects can get very complex--such as entire Coffee shops, large 3d wall panels, large furniture groupings, and complex medical equipment. On some of the more complex and larger ones it took about 20-30 minutes to get the object to load into Chief. 

My file size is currently just over 3 GB and growing --- which is something my system can handle. As of right now it feels like I am using a POS computer, and I am most definitely not ( (see specs below). Just about every operation (in Chief)  is very slow and bogged down--I can still use the rest of my computer fine. 

Have I overloaded the Chief Library / Software? If so, should I purge all unused objects until they are needed in order to improve performance? Is there something else that I can do? 

I truly appreciate your help.

Peace, 

Jon

Ryzen Threadripper 1950x (16 cores)

64 GB 3200mhz Quad Channel Ram Corsair Dominator

Nvidia Quadro P4000

2x 512 GB Samsung 960 Pro M.2 SSD

256 Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD

2TB Samsung 960 Evo SSD

Corsair 115i Watercooler

Corsair HX1000i PSU

12 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

All I can say is wow, I am surprised you have gotten as far as you have that must be quite the system you have built.  I think you have likely set a record and are now in uncharted territory.

Did you read this ?  

I was actually going to start my post much like that and say "I think I already know the answer to this question". :)

I have looked at many of the postings about this subject, however my take away was that it was system limited, not software--but I could be wrong.

I guess what I really should have asked is:

What is Chief's posted limit of data loaded by the user before performance of Chief alone is effected?  (if that made any sense :)

I am not sure it there really is a limit and you may have already proven that by how far you have pushed it with your system.  You may find that it will be quite interesting to open Task Manager while you are working and just see how efficiently Chief is using your system resources.  X9 made some major improvements but I think you will be surprised how little of your system is actually being utilized.  I have often pushed the software into a non responsive situation while it is only using about 17-18% of my CPU.  So if you are only able to use a small portion of your system to run Chief that is why you need all the horsepower you can get.

You will want to search and read as many threads as you can find on the subject of Speed and Performance and keep us informed of your progress.

One thing tech told me recently on a big but not anything as large as your file was when working with a 3D view open turn off Auto Rebuild Walls/Floors/Ceilings and just manually rebuild with F12 only when necessary because I was getting 5-6 minute rebuild times.

If most of your slowdown is from Symbols it may just taxing your video card and not the CPU so you may want to also monitor that.

You may be able to turn off layer displays that are not needed to speed things up.

I am quite interested in this topic but as you read you will find that there are others that are more knowledgeable.

Thank you very much for the info, I did not think about shutting off auto-rebuild. I think that will make a very big difference in my performance. 

I just deleted all of the 3rd party objects from the library and it has solved the issue. I have a plan to have Sketchup running simultaneously to use as my library browser then import only the needed objects. 

Any Model with a large polygon count will slow Chief down , many Sketchup Models appear to be done by Students learning Sketchup so the polygon count , especially on curved objects can be really high , I have seen other reports of simple items like an oval sink , vs a rectangular one causing slow downs when used in multiple bathrooms.

I have not seen anyone with a 3GB File before.... I am not sure anyone at CA has either ... wow :)

This sounds very similar to a past situation where a significant lag was reported when working on very complex models. If I recall correctly it was related to rebuilding the 3D model after a change/alteration was made and when opening a camera view which also requires a 3D model rebuild. From my playing around with this the best way to deal with this was by turning off all unnecessary display layers. It appears that the display layers determines what Chief has to process when rebuilding the 3D model. From what I was able to deduce was that the 3D model rebuild is highly processor based and more importantly it appeared to be a single thread type operation. This was what initiated my "Chandelier Test" I mentioned in the other Threadripper discussion.

As you likely need those Sketchup models I would suggest you try placing them on separate layer(s) and keep them turned off unless you absolutely need them displayed to do your work.