X9 wont start after Windows Update

RobUSMC

I was working on a plan this morning with no issues and when I went to shut my laptop down Windows downloaded updates. When I rebooted and tried to open the same plan I got a message that Chief was either not designed to run on Windows or has an error.  Has anyone else had this issue?

Windows X9.PNG

I have not but unfortunately you are not alone and Chief Tech support or Microsoft should have an answer on Monday.  It might be helpful to others if you could look up and post the windows update and if you are in fact still running Win 7 Pro.

UPDATE:  I totally uninstalled X9, rebooted then reinstalled a fresh copy. All seemed to work ok until I updated the default data file that was loaded during the install with my backed up copy that had the bonus and user libraries. Once done, I rebooted and when I opened X9 I got the same Windows error.  So this last time I did the same uninstall / reinstall  but I copied the data file from my main PC onto a flash drive and replaced it on my laptop and now all seems to be back to normal.  Ill see what blows up between now and in the morning. 

It seems that the issue I had with X5 is now showing up in X9 as well. See my post and "solution for now" from a couple of weeks ago.

I haven't attempted to return to X5 64-bit because I have work to turn out and X5 32-bit has not failed to launch since I installed it.

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/15024-x5-and-windows-10-pro/

CA_X5_Error.thumb.JPG.471c67dcd59cc6ec5f56942afb527dd1.JPG

2 hours ago, rwdozier said:

It seems that the issue I had with X5 is now showing up in X9 as well. See my post and "solution for now" from a couple of weeks ago.

I haven't attempted to return to X5 64-bit because I have work to turn out and X5 32-bit has not failed to launch since I installed it.

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/15024-x5-and-windows-10-pro/

CA_X5_Error.thumb.JPG.471c67dcd59cc6ec5f56942afb527dd1.JPG

So are you saying that the file [DLL] was really missing on your file system? And the reason you got the error was CA could not load shared DLL, because of file not found?

I stated in my original post that the pop up message said the files were missing which was not the case. Anytime the error occurred, the DLL file or files in the pop up message was in it's place but had zero file size and a current date/time stamp. I could restore the DLL files from a backup and all was fine for a random period of time. This was the issue even after uninstalling and reinstalling X5 64-bit. Once I restored the DLL files, I could launch and exit X5 throughout the day and then it would happen. I don't know if launching or exiting X5 zeroed the file size. But, the issue has not occurred since I have uninstalled X5 64-bit and installed X5 32-bit.

We have recently seen quite a few cases of this issue occurring across all versions of Chief old and new.   In all cases so far the only common thread is that all of the users have been running Mcafee virus scan on their systems.   We have been working to try to contact Mcafee and reproduce the issue so they can get it resolved.

So far however we have not been able to reproduce the problem internally so if you are having this issue please contact our support team with any and all information you can recall on how you reproduced the issue.    https://support.chiefarchitect.com

The support team will also gather some additional system data from you that will be helpful to us when trying to resolve the problem.

Thanks

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, BrianBeck said:

We have recently seen quite a few cases of this issue occurring across all versions of Chief old and new.   In all cases so far the only common thread is that all of the users have been running Mcafee virus scan on their systems.   We have been working to try to contact Mcafee and reproduce the issue so they can get it resolved.

So far however we have not been able to reproduce the problem internally so if you are having this issue please contact our support team with any and all information you can recall on how you reproduced the issue.    https://support.chiefarchitect.com

The support team will also gather some additional system data from you that will be helpful to us when trying to resolve the problem.

Thanks

Same here, for all applications. Sometimes encryption software as well causing this issue, where file(s) are improperly encrypted. The problem manifests when application is actively using the resource such as a shared library (DLL) while encryption or AV software attempt to scan or encrypt it.

I support large financial system (with McAfee HBSS and drive encryption installed on every PC) and we have seen this again and again.

I would recommend OP to save a corrupted DLL and un-corrupted for troubleshooting purposes. 

The popup window will tell you the file name and location. See attached image. Sometimes it was a single DLL, sometimes several popups indicating different DLLs. I restored the DLL files from backup to a temp directory and when happened again, I just copied them to their location and X5 would work again until next time. This was using X5 64 bit and the issue has not occurred since I installed X5 32 bit.CA_X5_Error.thumb.JPG.108e4567979a714bc6e15789dbca03b4.JPG

I am not running MacFee and was trying to update Chief 9 and am getting the same error message and now cannot get the software to run. Of course I have a few deadlines and this is terrible. We should have been cautioned that there was a problem with this update; I am dead in the water. I am not able to download anything at the moment,so please is there a way to get Chief ( back up and running?