Under the stairs built ins

DesignerPam

On 9/16/2017 at 11:18 PM, DesignerPam said:

I have been workings for days trying to figure out how to create custom, angled built-ins under a staircase for a client who is looking to finish their basement. Can anyone advise?

See the attached image:

https://www.houzz.com/photos/17905325/Custom-Basement-Mudroom-Ashland-MA-basement-boston

I don't know if it is worth the effort but here is a plan with one cabinet done and the parts used. I didn't take the time to make a framed door for this-just a proof of concept really.

I started with a CAD detail from view then locked it to have a guide for angles and such. Draw the overall cabinet as a psolid then copy and past in place and resize elements as you go. At some point some have to me moved out of the way to work. Then copy and paste them into another plan to create door symbols.

Open the included door symbols to get an idea of what needs to be done to the stretch areas to make this all work.

NOTE-Either Chief or I am dyslexic-the symbols will insert backwards into a cabinet from the way they view when you make them OR when they are in the library.??

. Final parts for each front would need to be made specifically but saving the plan(s) with psolid used to generate them allows faster alteration. Had some trouble getting the grain on the top angled rail to cooperated so that may need to be exploded into faces first (see Alaskan Son's post back a ways on doing that to fix grain directions.

I included a door symbol used for the sides that is placed into the back of the cabinet. I'd also likely place rollouts and such that way-into the back. But didn't here, just specified the shelves.

Angle cabinets under stairs.jpg

Stair cabinet.plan

• Upvote 2

Thank you so much for your response and help! After chatting with others, and reading your response, it seems that the effort to create something like this is no small feat and might be best drawn out as a concept! Hopefully this is something that will becomes easier to create in the future as the concept is all over the place currently and in everyone's basement pins!!

5 hours ago, DesignerPam said:

Hopefully this is something that will becomes easier to create

Please don't misunderstand, I don't think it's worth doing this with cabinets. It's not how I'd order or build it in the first place and cabinets have no real advantage as a symbol here.

OTOH the other methods suggested are easy and effective to accomplish this in both 3D and for docs.

I might lean toward using psolids to control the reveals. So long as you are painting and not using wood then there are no grain direction issues so those are pretty quick.

Did this over coffee this morning bit of copying and used concentric behavior to get the frame. As with many things in Chief there are several ways to get where you're going, just need to see how the program thinks and learn the tools.

Psolid Angle doors.jpg

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

Please don't misunderstand, I don't think it's worth doing this with cabinets. It's not how I'd order or build it in the first place and cabinets have no real advantage as a symbol here.

OTOH the other methods suggested are easy and effective to accomplish this in both 3D and for docs.

I might lean toward using psolids to control the reveals. So long as you are painting and not using wood then there are no grain direction issues so those are pretty quick.

Did this over coffee this morning bit of copying and used concentric behavior to get the frame. As with many things in Chief there are several ways to get where you're going, just need to see how the program thinks and learn the tools.

Psolid Angle doors.jpg

I think this would make the approach much simpler.

Once you have the angel right, all you need to do is customize the front objects and remove most of the shelves.

You may need to use a separate base cabinet for the drawer base and a wall cabinet with an angled top with shelves above it.