Numbering Layout Pages in Sequence

mbniagara

Hi,

This is my first post.

I am considering numbering all of the sheets in my printed layout sequentially even if I am using multiple layout template pages. So for example. my sheets would be numbered A-1,A-2, M-3, M-4, T-5 instead of A-1, A-2, M-1, M-2, T-1.

I would want my layout page table to match my sheet numbers and show the same way in the Project Browser.

Is their a macro, setting, or work-around to be able to achieve this?

Thanks

Joe has given you the best answer I know of.

For those who don't know this - mbniagra is describing something very close to the traditional way Architect's number drawings.  At least it was when I came up through the ranks - used at many different offices.  It may even be in some AIA standard somewhere.  "A" sheets are architectural.  "M" sheets are mechanical.  "S" are structural, and so on.

And I used to use a system where I took it a step further.  My front spec sheets were always A.1.something, floor plans A.2.something.  My elevations were A.3.1, A.3.2, etc.  

The reason this is not some very bad idea , is that it takes a big bite out of any renumbering & re-keying woes.  If you find late in the game that you have to add a detail sheet, you don't have to renumber your structural sheets, and chase down all the reference keys.

So - my two cents is that the only thing ever truly confusing is if the keys are wrong.  You put a page list on the first page and key correctly - done and dusted.

Just my two cents!

To follow up on Wendy's contribution - yes, that page naming convention is an industry standard of sorts.

(Our local jurisdiction requires pages be labeled in this fashion.)

Architectural pages are labeled as follows:

A0.0# for plan notes and general

A1.0# for plan views

A2.0# for elevations 

A3.0# first sections

So on

Mechanical M0.0#

Structural S0.0#

Etc....

Not at computer to delve deeper but I am sure a quick search will offer the full list and description.

2 hours ago, RL-inc said:

To follow up on Wendy's contribution - yes, that page naming convention is an industry standard of sorts.

(Our local jurisdiction requires pages be labeled in this fashion.)

Architectural pages are labeled as follows:

A0.0# for plan notes and general

A1.0# for plan views

A2.0# for elevations 

A3.0# first sections

So on

Mechanical M0.0#

Structural S0.0#

Etc....

Not at computer to delve deeper but I am sure a quick search will offer the full list and description.

One of the many cities I deal with tried to tell me how to number my pages, I told them I will number them any way I want or go over their head to the city manager , they backed off. This was a new employee that didn't know any better.

3 hours ago, DRAWZILLA said:

One of the many cities I deal with tried to tell me how to number my pages, I told them I will number them any way I want or go over their head to the city manager , they backed off. This was a new employee that didn't know any better.

Guess you really showed that new employee something.