Recessed brick around corner

DianneDSC

Need some help figuring out how to create this recessed brick detail which wraps around the outside corners. I've tried material regions on each wall but at the edge of the corner, the full thickness of the brick shows. I've also tried changing the wall style at the area of the detail, apply quoins the same depth and material as the main brick wall. This caused an offset of the frieze molding.

Any other ideas?

recessed brick detail.jpg

Its hard to fully tell based upon the pic, but i dont think those are Quoins.  What I would do is set brick wall to a thickness that is appropriate to the outside of the main layer of brick, and then come back and place wall material regions that "cut" the surface layer - and use the settings to make the recess correct.

You will need to align the material regions around the corner correctly since we dont yet have ability to wrap - but it should work.

3 minutes ago, johnny said:

Its hard to fully tell based upon the pic, but i dont think those are Quoins.  What I would do is set brick wall to a thickness that is appropriate to the outside of the main layer of brick, and then come back and place wall material regions that "cut" the surface layer - and use the settings to make the recess correct.

You will need to align the material regions around the corner correctly since we dont yet have ability to wrap - but it should work.

This is the first way I tried but could not get the edge of the intersecting walls at corner to look right in elevation or 3d. It seemed the end of the walls were overriding the material regions or the regions where conflicting each other. 

Tomorrow I'll post a plan showing the issue I'm having.  

On 9/12/2017 at 10:25 PM, solver said:

Here is a plan showing one way. 

Make the brick thinner at the corners and use quoins.

You could also use solids which might be easier to control.

DianneDSC.thumb.jpg.b46f7920c02a877558acff53ed2062ba.jpg

DianneDSC.plan

Thank you for the idea to use solids. I had tried thinner brick walls at the corners and quoins but it was hard to control. I'm thinking solids will work great.

On 9/13/2017 at 8:42 AM, Chris_Kelly said:

I'm sure Eric's way works (as always), but I had a thought worth sharing. Would niches work?

I haven't tried this but it may work. Could cause the same problem as using subtracted material regions at the wall intersection.