BATHROOM VANITY | BASE CABINET QUESTION

interiorarch

Hello.

Please see Attached screenshots for reference to my question.  (The cabinetry you see in the image was built by another one of our designers in SketchUp).

I am currently working on building a specific type of bathroom vanity for a client's new remodel.  I have the entire unit built, however, I am still unable to build the little ledge detail at the base.  The bottom area that looks like a little ledge also functions similar to a stile for the bottom  of the cabinet.  I hope there is some solution to achieve this characteristic.  Chief may not be as flexible in providing these kind of details in order to give specific cabinetry units extra flair.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best!

Powder Room Draft 2.jpg

Studio Vanity 003.jpg

Studio Vanity Dimensions 001.jpg

You might want to play around with using cabinet moldings.  They have the advantage of being part of the cabinet so that they will stay with it when the cabinet is moved.

You can create any molding profile you like, including just a rectangle, and extrude this shape around the cabinet.  You can then adjust the vertical position as needed.

More information about cabinet moldings can be found in the reference manual and training videos.

• Upvote 1

Hello @solver

I am actually interested in learning about many more things in Chief.  Sorry if you got the wrong impression in the past. 

I am not someone trying to be passive in these forums.  I am also just trying to learn and get it right.

I honestly have already watched a few videos this morning and tried doing research on polylines to achieve this, but had no luck. 

This is why I have now returned to Chief Talk and respect the help received by others.

Maybe if you could help explain it, I could learn and improve.

Thank You.

7 minutes ago, interiorarch said:

But I asking for a little more help.

If you want an additional piece or object you create the piece or object, size it and locate it. There is nothing more to say other than to do what is indicated to do to communicate your design. The "Help"  here is: stop making something more difficult than it is and just get it done. If you are already convinced it is too hard to do, then it is but if you just decide to get a product no matter what it will become easier to do.

DJP

• Upvote 1

@DavidJPotter

I already have previously stated I am not trying to have anyone else do the work and I am not trying to find the easiest solution.  Sorry how I worded my questions.  I am just asking for help, that is all.  Isn't that the main purpose of this forum...to ask questions.

I appreciate everyone who trys to  help, I am not just looking for answers.  I am learning and improving in Chief everyday, since I am much more rounded in SketchUp.

Thank You!

See the attached plan and picture.

It has a very simple wall cabinet with a molding that was added through the specification dialog.  I also modified the bottom separation to provide a blank area to attach the molding.  I adjusted the molding position and size to get the look I wanted. 

The molding I chose was just one of the stock ones that ships in the library.  You can create your own molding profiles in a plan or cad detail and add them to the library as needed.

I placed the two boxes on the sides to prevent the molding from wrapping around the sides.  They are just wall cabinets with no face items.

It is not always easy to control where cabinet moldings wrap because the program does this automatically.  For this reason, many people will create manual molding polylines and just bump them up against the cabinet face.  Molding polylines will give you more control but they are more work and they will not stay with the cabinet unless you block them together.

The basics for doing this are not really that difficult.  Once you understand how to add moldings and modify cabinet faces and boxes you should be able to create an unlimited number of custom cabinet designs.

cab with molding.png

cab with molding.plan

• Upvote 1

"...because I am still working in Chief Architect X8"

If you already have SSA, you can get X9 for free and it should already be in your digital locker.  If you don't have SSA, I would encourage you to renew it.  There are a number of very useful features in X9 that you are probably missing out on.