How to do a stair knee wall in x9?

dskogg

HI everyone, i tried looking through forum to get this answer and i couldn't find an answer.

Is there a simple way to show a knee wall with cap for stair railing.  it is a very common

way to do a stair railing cost effectively.

I am hoping that in x9 they have this figured out? I took a look at videos and they did not help.

I want a wall that follows stair with a cap on it.  i know i could do polyline solids but that is dumb.

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers.

David

stair knee wall issue.JPG

Each railing wall has a dialog box and a Newel and Balluster tab, use them for that purpose. In terms of the exposed framing, just do what you must to handle such things (polyline solid, material region etc), Chief is not perfect so when you see a plan or rendering that looks perfect it is because someone made it so. Got it?

DJP

As David said.  Chief is not perfect.  You may have to use psolids to eliminate some imperfections.  This all shows up more in vector view than standard view.  Some of these views are used for client approval and showing the builder the general look.  You may have to do a construction detail to show what the 3d is representing.

The stair tool in CA is not very useful...Chief should do a series of videos to show users how to accomplish simple stair task.  I think those of us who purchased Chief thought the stair tool would be much more "refined"...alas, it's probably the weakest area in CA.  

I have attached a simple test plan.  I placed a simple rail using "rail follows stair". 

- Why do the balusters not meet the tread?  

- The balusters spacing stinks...we need the ability to place a number of balusters per stair tread...and the option to space them.  

- Also...can someone tell me why at the top of the stairs the newel posts don't connect as they would when you build them in the field?  It's clumsy at best...

Also, I created a "solid railing"...and selected "rail follows stair".  But, this option for this style rail does not seem to work...at least it didn't for me.  See attached PIC.

Stair Plan.plan

59b6c35c5b515_StairBalusters-followstairs2.thumb.png.b7c8a5e99c4f3e06e2efaf7c7d3bb0ce.png  59b6c35ff06a8_StairBalusters-followstairs.thumb.png.b3c90fbd5f55c6420df0945cb7f66375.png  59b6c3631a40a_StairSolidRail-followstairs3.thumb.png.23fd75f76da28473357bd9c186dc6c57.png

On 9/8/2017 at 0:55 PM, javatom said:

Open the stair DBX - railing - set to panels.  Newels/balusters - set spacing to 300 or vary large number to avoid newels.  Set panel thickness to 3.5.  Style - set to closed stringer.

stair.JPG

Just read this post...and realized the railing had to be specified as "panels".  It works...but, its finicky to say the least.  Move it in or out just a bit too far and it doesn't follow the stair.

I was selecting "solid" (not panels)...needless to say, this is confusing. Solid doesn't follow stairs.