Stair treads, using 2 treads

Doug_N

I am doing some deck drawings for a client, and some of the decks are two stories.  I have done the stairs using the automatic CA stair generator, and that gave me good results.

The client wants me to use deck boards (5/4 x 6) for the treads.  So there would be a tread width of 11 1/8 inch total width without ripping the boards, and leaving a 1/8 gap between the boards.

So without resorting to a lot of cad work, is there a way to change the default tread to accomplish this?

Doug Norton

Whitby Ontario

Canada

There is a way you can fake it but you won't get the lines and the space you might really want.  The treads are rectangular 3D boxes and all you get for control is to be able to paint a material on them.  All six sides are "painted" with your material.

Take a no-shadow photo of a pair of 5/4 x 6 deck boards with the right spacing and tread length, and the space should show up as dark shadow in your photo.  Now go and edit your photo to capture ONLY the boards, then use Chief tools to make that a texture.  Use it on your treads.  Be sure to check appropriate settings so your texture stretches to your tread size.

On 9/5/2017 at 9:45 PM, Chopsaw said:

Thanks Chopsaw.  It isn't quite what I was looking for, but it will do for the renderings.  It is miles ahead of were I was going, that is for sure.

Regards

Doug 

Doug Norton

Whitby Ontario

Canada

Deck U Stair Quick View.pdf

Deck U Stairs.pdf