Suggestions for Floorplan please

ladycoralie

Hi Guys,

I'm attaching my floorplan to view and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how I could do it better please? I'm restricted to the rectangular border around it. Any ideas would be most welcome. I'm going to put the laundry and more bedrooms down on the lower floor. I haven't done all the doors and windows properly yet as I'm just trying to work on the room layout at the moment.

Thanks

Coralie

Eagles View.plan

While there may be a number of suggestions for how to get rid of the bowling alleys that you've got now, this is really the wrong way to start designing a house. You should start with the site. There is no indication of North, grade levels, views, prevailing winds, site access, nor any indication of how the basement rooms are going to get light, air, and exit paths. This all affects how the main living spaces should be arranged. Oh, and the building code might be a factor. We don't even know which building code is controlling.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Richard_Morrison said:

While there may be a number of suggestions for how to get rid of the bowling alleys that you've got now, this is really the wrong way to start designing a house. You should start with the site. There is no indication of North, grade levels, views, prevailing winds, site access, nor any indication of how the basement rooms are going to get light, air, and exit paths. This all affects how the main living spaces should be arranged. Oh, and the building code might be a factor. We don't even know which building code is controlling.

Hi Richard. Thanks for the advice. It is going to be built on a sloping block. North East aspect for Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia. Sub tropical climate with cool winters due to a little elevation. Winds are mostly from the East, North East and South East. I am attaching a dwg that I have of the site, but I don't really know how to put it in the plan yet. This is a site that I go to that explains design guidelines in layman's terms. http://www.build.com.au/ I guess these are more official: https://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LEGISLTN/CURRENT/B/BuildgR06.pdf.

I haven't got as far as the basement yet. Can you explain what you mean by bowling alleys please and how to improve them?

Thanks

Coralie

Lot 8.dwg

>I'm attaching my floorplan to view and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how I could do it better please

Not sure, but are you asking about, how you can improve technical chief architect skills, or overall floorplan, documenting, sections??

I saw you posting 3 different floorplans, all ICF 

>Can you explain what you mean by bowling alleys 

Long, dark, narrow hallways are wasted space. A lot of designers avoid them.

Hallways.thumb.jpg.c52eccb3aa32527252bc9ac73e4ffff2.jpg

>It is going to be built on a sloping block. North East aspect for Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia. Sub tropical climate with cool winters due to a little elevation. Winds are mostly from the East, North East and South East.

Nice, but what would really help, if you open CA library and search for "North" and place that symbol in your plan.....  

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, BrownTiger said:

>I'm attaching my floorplan to view and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how I could do it better please

Not sure, but are you asking about, how you can improve technical chief architect skills, or overall floorplan, documenting, sections??

I saw you posting 3 different floorplans, all ICF 

>Can you explain what you mean by bowling alleys 

Long, dark, narrow hallways are wasted space. A lot of designers avoid them.

Hallways.thumb.jpg.c52eccb3aa32527252bc9ac73e4ffff2.jpg

>It is going to be built on a sloping block. North East aspect for Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia. Sub tropical climate with cool winters due to a little elevation. Winds are mostly from the East, North East and South East.

Nice, but what would really help, if you open CA library and search for "North" and place that symbol in your plan.....  

Hi Brown Tiger. Thanks for the explanation of Bowling Alleys. I don't really know how to fix them. I have a long rectangular building envelope: 15m x 30m. I'm trying not build a rectangular box, but avoiding hallways is difficult. I want a lot of light in the main rooms and windows as we really need them for air circulation in Summer. I was thinking of putting in skylights over the hallways to bring in light. I'm building out of ICF if I can, because of its thermal qualities. Our power bills in Australia are some of the highest in the world and they are going up all the time. They are crippling our economy and households. I'm trying to keep heating and cooling down as much as possible.ICF is relatively new down here as the tradition is to build a brick and tile home more often than not. I have a couple of different plans because I am going to submit them to our builder and see which one he thinks is best for the land and cheapest for us to build. I'm constantly refining them as a result and trying to make them better design wise. That's why I was asking about the floorplan for this one - just suggestions on design that would make it more functional and more appealing. I can have a lovely long house with lovely views, so there will be lots of windows. I"m definitely open to suggestions for better design. anyway, I have put in the North symbol and a map of the area with North on it too. North East is ideal for Australian conditions. So happy I'm not facing the Western Sun in our climate.

Cheers and thanks

Coralie

Eagles View.plan

11 hours ago, Richard_Morrison said:

Your site plan shows several lots, and it's not clear which one is yours. May I suggest you look at www.undercoverarchitect.com? It has LOTS of tips about the process. I'm concerned that you are going to be spending a LOT of money, and you are getting off to a less-than-optimal start here. 

Hi Richard. Sorry, I should have said it was Lot 8. I will check out the site you recommended. I know I have to find ways to save money.

Thanks

Coralie

I had a quick look at your plan yesterday.  Without knowing what you are trying to accomplish it is hard to comment but presuming you are trying to put in a seperate/future? in-law suite, the garage access should be moved and many walls can be eliminated or opened up to give a much better flow.  Some of the room sizes are excessively large in comparison to their use (ie. Powder Room).  Having an improved use of space can reduce the house footprint, thus decreasing cost, without sacrificing the feeling of spaciousness.

Excess size, without purpose, never feels right once built.  I totally agree with Richard, you will be spending way too much money on a design that could be so much better.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, country said:

I had a quick look at your plan yesterday.  Without knowing what you are trying to accomplish it is hard to comment but presuming you are trying to put in a seperate/future? in-law suite, the garage access should be moved and many walls can be eliminated or opened up to give a much better flow.  Some of the room sizes are excessively large in comparison to their use (ie. Powder Room).  Having an improved use of space can reduce the house footprint, thus decreasing cost, without sacrificing the feeling of spaciousness.

Excess size, without purpose, never feels right once built.  I totally agree with Richard, you will be spending way too much money on a design that could be so much better.

Hi Country. Yes that is what I need to know. Where do you think the garage access could go to give a better flow? I'll look at reducing the Powder Room. Are there any others that could be reduced?

Thanks

Coralie

Oh Wow! Thank you so much country for that layout. It is just great. Yep what I was trying to achieve but with a lot more useful space that isn't wasted. I love it. Cheers to you and many thanks again.

2 hours ago, country said:

Here is a, hopefully, slightly more useful layout.  

Capture.JPG

• Upvote 1

Glad you like it.  Took an entire lunch hour plus a little time to convert back and forth from metric to imperial so I knew what I was doing:-)

There is plenty of room to also work in a stacking washer/dryer, if you would like laundry on the main level.  

Spaces may have to be rearranged to suit your building materials and standards but at least it is an open public area with a more separate private area.

Rooflines can be very simple and still not look like a box.

• Upvote 3

I think it is wonderful. Thank you so much for taking the time to work this out for me. The spaces are organised properly and the dimensions work for me. I can work on putting in a laundry up top if I need it there - yes I want to stack the washer and dryer. How did you know that? I saw a pic of it on pinterest and fell in love with that idea. I absolutely love the new layout. You are marvellous. <3

Thankyou so much. :)

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, ladycoralie said:

Hmmm. I got a real weird message. Tried to give you reputation and Chief said I couldn't??? Anyway, I hereby rep you, country.

:wub:

Hope you don't mind. I just put those thumps up on behalf of you..:D

• Upvote 1