File size is twice what it should be

RCarter

I'm working on a 10 unit condo and my computer is very slow but only when on this file. I keep getting a memory warning. I checked the properties and it's size is 11.5 MB this is twice what other projects  are ( even when finished ). Because its a simple inline building I've used copy and paste a lot. Is there something I'm not aware of that's causing this

I'm using CA-6Thank RCarter

Colonial-10_unit_condo.plan

I didn't have time to go through and test out the whole plan because it is so ridiculously slow on my system, but your problem is that you seem to have inadvertently created WAY WAY WAY too many copies of some things.  If you marquis select your vanity base cabinet or one of your toilets you'll see that you have like 16-24 of each in many locations.  That round sink alone has like 6,200 faces.  Just based on the sinks I found (70 copies on the first floor and I think 16 copies on the second floor) you have an extra half a million faces in your plan.  The same thing seems to hold true for every symbol I checked.  

• Upvote 1

Everything seems to work ok on my system, only a little slow loading any 3d, but I can spin the model without any problems.  I did notice after quickly looking that your wall definitions have no drywall, just a framing layer on all your walls, is that what you want?

21 minutes ago, RCarter said:

Where do I see the # of copies and is there a way to delete without individually deleting them

See the number of items selected here...

Selection.thumb.png.72cf133552e0de859b50473a3e56e520.png

...if you see nothing there then you only have one item selected. 

To delete all but one, try one of these 2 methods...

• Marquis select the object thereby selecting ALL copies, hold down the Control key and click once to DE-select just one of the items, and then hit Delete.  Or...
  • Select one object or control select one each of several different objects, Hit Control+X (Cut), go through and group select/delete all the redundant copies, and then Hit Control+Alt+V (Paste Hold Position) to place the other(s) back into place.

Chief is rather straight forwardly created. So if your own procedures are weak or in error, Chief allows you to make such errors. Michael has discovered what you did to cause this plan to be overweight, so in the future make sure that when you make a copy that you are making a single copy of an object. Most such problems are End User Based predicated on wrong assumptions by that end user. It is part of the learning curve we all must mount.

DJP

I basically selected each items and keep clicking select and delete.. But why did there items copy so many times. It was 5 units and the last units had about 25 copies of each item which decreased as I got closer to first unit. Anyway

Thanks for all the help

1 hour ago, RCarter said:

I basically selected each items and keep clicking select and delete.. But why did there items copy so many times. It was 5 units and the last units had about 25 copies of each item which decreased as I got closer to first unit. Anyway

Thanks for all the help

It would of been easier if you did a marquis select,  (16 items preselected) hold down shift key and select (1 item deselected)  hit delete and 15 items are deleted leaving one item.

I do not know how you created so many items,  but it sounds like you screwed up.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RCarter said:

....But why did there items copy so many times. It was 5 units and the last units had about 25 copies of each item which decreased as I got closer to first unit.

What setting do you have for Preferences, Edit, Marquee Selection?

Just wondering if its the default "Select Intersected Objects" and each time you've copied some object you accidentally copied other items as well so it increased as you progressed. If that's the case then one of the other marquee selection options may be better for your workflow as its harder to over select.