Finished attic? Why can't I do that?

CrazE123

I think I would have to see how your wall layout is for the additional floor which would be your attic so I know where to make the rooms 1 1/2, I'm not as good as Scott for doing video's in fact I don't but maybe if you are nice to him :) he would do a video on this unless you post the plan or a pdf of the plan so we can see what you have

Lots of good info in the Knowledgebase (KB) ..it's not as difficult as it sounds , have a look at this Tut. ..the 24" in the Tut. is whatever height your knee walls are , if no knee walls then use 1 1/2" as suggested to get Roof to sit on Floor of the Attic.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00772/building-a-cape-cod-roof-by-adjusting-ceiling-heights.html

or this one if this is your situation

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00653/building-a-cape-cod-roof-that-bears-on-the-1st-floor-walls.html

in your response box you will see below it has a paper clip that says drag files here to attach or choose files, the best thing is to zip the file and put it somewhere you can find it easy in a folder then choose file and it will attach for us to help you

open  a new plan and follow the tutorial and once you have it down pat , then try it on your Main Plan ....  or do a Save As to the plan and change the name to XXX_rooftest and play on that plan till you get it right , then move back to the original file and implement the new Roof there... always good to have a back up and save your plan often , incase something goes wrong or CA crashes.

11 minutes ago, CrazE123 said:

Ok so my daughter got the file zipped for me and on the desk top so hope this works! Please don't laugh too hard I've been working on this for a long time and I know there are many issues.. Be gentle! :)

new_house_1.zip

your plan did attach ok and looks like up until this point you are doing a nice job, not sure where you are located but I am on the east coast and have been working with clients and the program most of the day so I will have to check it out in the morning if you don't get any further tonight

You've done alot of work...which will make this tougher...much easier to build the Structure and then do the "Design Work".

As you can see you don't have Foundations on you Garages or the Pool house , so you may need to draw those manually as autobuilding the foundation now may cause you to lose the foundation on the house..... and all the work inside it....

It would be best to fill in your Signature too ( see mine for how) as different methods my apply depending on which version you are using, and as many of us are using X9 , if you are not you won't be about to open/use a plan posted by any of us

I'll check in tomorrow too... night.

I realized that I hadn't finished switching the rooms around on both sides, so I stayed up and got that corrected and posted the new plan. 

Kbird I will get that info in my signature asap. I didn't realize it didn't transfer between the chief sites. I had originally only put the garage, pool and barn in so that I could show a contractor how I needed them to be accessible in all weather for me.(I'm in a wheelchair and want to be able to get to all three places on my own even in winter) But now I would like to complete them so that I have a clearer picture of materials and cost. Of course it will now be more complicated! Seems to be that way with every step in this building process. This is about the eighth house design I've done and I think I'm finally happy with the overall space but there are many little things that I keep finding.  

Thanks so much for taking your time to look at it! Any advice is appreciated.:)

new_house_1_auto_save.zip

Craz:

users of HD PRO can benefit from following the Chieftalk forum as it has many of the same manual tools as Chief Premier

just be aware of HD PRO's limitations when applying tips/tricks

but you should also follow the Hometalk forum which covers all of the HD products

Lew

6 hours ago, lbuttery said:

Craz:

users of HD PRO can benefit from following the Chieftalk forum as it has many of the same manual tools as Chief Premier

just be aware of HD PRO's limitations when applying tips/tricks

but you should also follow the Hometalk forum which covers all of the HD products

Lew

Hello IButtery  I was on that forum and was told to come here instead....lol  Well I'll follow both then! I have noticed that some of the menus don't look like mine at all or have items labeled differently. I hate to spend money on a new program when I'm only using it for this house.

Craz:

HD PRO has about 25% of the features that Chief Premier has

but it only cost $495 and Premier costs $2695

depending on your project and your skill level at climbing the learning curve

spending $2695 could be worth the savings in design fees

Premier can be resold (if current) for about 80% of a new license

CA also has a rent to own option

yes,. best to follow both forums if you can

Just make it clear in your postings that you are using HD Pro

and be aware of the differences - there is a comparison chart on CA's website

Lew

2 hours ago, CrazE123 said:

Hello IButtery  I was on that forum and was told to come here instead....lol  Well I'll follow both then! I have noticed that some of the menus don't look like mine at all or have items labeled differently. I hate to spend money on a new program when I'm only using it for this house.

Did you ask Jo-Ann on Hometalk to look at your Plan?  she is very good with work arounds and has been on HomeTalk for many years , I used Pro for a number of years before upgrading so know the Forum well.

I think you are going to have to do stuff manually now as I see you have done Manual roof edits etc. By turning on your reference layer (F9) you can draw your own foundation walls in under the Garages and pool room by drawing new foundations walls over the red reference walls. You may need to do the same upstairs by adding a BLANK 3rd floor of 0" height and then drawing the rooms with new walls , again with the Reference view on ( red lines of what's below).

I did notice that a few of the 2 storey walls were not aligned with the 1st floor walls ( look for icon on the edit toolbar with wall selected) and that the LH end of the main house does not have the wall tagged as a gable but Auto Build Roofs is off so that doesn't effect you I think.

I haven't look at the new plan yet.,,,,

4 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Did you ask Jo-Ann on Hometalk to look at your Plan?  she is very good with work arounds and has been on HomeTalk for many years , I used Pro for a number of years before upgrading so know the Forum well.

I think you are going to have to do stuff manually now as I see you have done Manual roof edits etc. By turning on your reference layer (F9) you can draw your own foundation walls in under the Garages and pool room by drawing new foundations walls over the red reference walls. You may need to do the same upstairs by adding a BLANK 3rd floor of 0" height and then drawing the rooms with new walls , again with the Reference view on ( red lines of what's below).

I did notice that a few of the 2 storey walls were not aligned with the 1st floor walls ( look for icon on the edit toolbar with wall selected) and that the LH end of the main house does not have the wall tagged as a gable but Auto Build Roofs is off so that doesn't effect you I think.

I haven't look at the new plan yet.,,,,

I don't know Jo-ann but I will definitely look her up! I went in and fixed the walls that you pointed out all but one. At the back of the house(pool side) The short exterior wall will not line up with the interior wall! I have messed with both and they just refuse to line up perfectly. I also followed the instructions that you linked to and I think I got started anyway. I'd like to share it but it says that the file is too big?!  

Stupid thing included 2 copies,,,so here it is

new_house_1_12d843652bf70abd3e3429444a710dbf04b526d7.zip

I think you might be taking my suggestion to rename files a bit to far ....that's half the alphabet....:)  the files you are posting are not necessarily the last file you worked on , as you can see from their name, they are the Program's Autosave files which may have been an hour ago or ??? more ago (depends on the setting in preferences you use?) . To post the .plan file you will need to zip it as you have done so much work on it and the direct post limit is 25mb . The plan is slow even on my computer as you have done so much decorating .  Just save the Plan and then close it , (make sure the Plan is closed in Pro, Pro can be Open) and then you can Zip the .plan file you last worked on. You will get an empty zipfile if you try zipping the plan while it is open ,either that or it won't zip as Pro will lock other Programs out from accessing it while it is Open)

It would help to use the Text tool with Arrow and leave notes , perhaps in RED text , so whoever is helping you can find the issues you mentioned.

ie the misaligned back wall , near the Pool... I found 1....The upper wall of the T Shape main house is misaligned , (see pic) ....align the 2nd floor to the 1st , go up to the Attic Level and then align it again with the Wall below...

think I found it on your new plan...short wall to the right of my red arrow .....just do as I said above.... the wall with arrow is still misaligned on the attic level on the new plan too.  when you Align the short wall you will also need to fix the Roof plan as you moved the wall over .... you also have a floating window above your new 3rd floor bathroom...

Capture91.JPG

Capture92.JPG

Capture93.JPG

Looks like you have got it sorted out , at least from a quick look around the latest plan.... I'd consider making your stairs wider , you will need to move furniture up there at some point and 39 inch stairs with a 90 deg. turn could make it difficult  , they are even narrower when you add the code required grip rail top to bottom , if you go say 44" at least then you'll have 40 plus inches of Clear room. and at least here you would not be allowed a Door directly at the top of the stairs , so you may need a 3 deep alcove /landing their.

When doint bathroom think about how the plumber is going to get the Water in and out , and that toilet pipes will likely need a 2x6 wall to accommodate them so try and line walls up floor to floor, otherwise you will cost yourself extra money, ie make the new bathroom slight bigger so the door wall aligns with the bathroom wall below.

Looks like you are doing pretty well :) have fun with it...

M.

I have been working on the walls and I still cant get the one lined up right! I'm going to keep at it! I'll post it when I think I have it so maybe you'll catch anything else. ( I know there is a lot lol) I didn't know that about the door at the top of the stairs so I can just remove that,and I'm looking to see how I can move things around so the plumbing is a bit easier to handle. I hadn't even thought about the width of the stairs! Excellent point!  I have to look that over more carefully. They are my access enemy! lol  (sorry wheelchair joke) I don't use them so I thought that seemed wide enough, I'll rethink that.   

Thank you so much for taking the time to look at my plan, I really appreciate it!