Landing Top Thickness ??

Chopsaw

Has anyone ever figured out how to adjust, or in my case today eliminate, the Landing Top (Tread) thickness or has this been neglected since the tool was introduced.  The material default is from Material Defaults> Stair Tread but what about a default for thickness.  What am I missing?

22 minutes ago, Dermot said:

The landing top thickness and overhang come from the stair or ramp it's connected to.

If it's not connected to anything, you can't change it.

Thank You Dermot,  It is nice to know there was some logic used in the original programming.  I am just using the railings of the landing for a workaround to do something a normal rail will not do.  Joining it to a ramp railing used for the stairs where the stair railing will not work. Need some smarter railing tools or maybe just a dumb railing that stays where you put it that is not dependent on a room or stair or landing or ramp and can be controlled as an independent object for elevation, length and height. 

"I am just using the railings of the landing for a workaround to do something a normal rail will not do. "

OK, I'll bite.  What can a landing railing do that a wall railing can't do?  I can think of a number of things that the wall railings can do that landing railings can't.

If you really want a dumb railing, just make one in a blank plan and then use the convert to symbol tool.

6 minutes ago, Dermot said:

If you really want a dumb railing, just make one in a blank plan and then use the convert to symbol tool.

Yes that is an option but I can also draw one with psolids but need something faster with the same control.  Maybe a semi smart rail that does not randomly snap to other things.

A landing railing can be duplicated and occupy the same space as another landing railing to provide a second top rail or offset spindles. In my situation I need an offset dropped rail that will face mount with a double top rail and offset spindles. Ends and openings can be controlled with precision on a Stair Landing. I have tried non room definition railings but found issues where they do not behave as non room definition. The last workaround that I have not tried yet is with a wall rail but that may be a little easier than I initially thought but then again most of the other techniques I have tried have broken down at the last stage in one way or another.  It just a matter of how much compromise is acceptable and I am not happy with the six workarounds I have tried so far. 

7 hours ago, Dermot said:

The landing top thickness and overhang come from the stair or ramp it's connected to.

If it's not connected to anything, you can't change it.

Thank You Dermot,  After failing with the seventh workaround I went back and you gave me just enough information to reverse engineer a solution.   I added an invisible stair to control the thickness of the invisible landing which controls the offset railing system that I needed. That only took seven hours to finish the final part for that whopper workaround.  Fortunately I had an open section of deck that was available or I am not sure there would have been a solution.

Hoping to see great things in X10.

I'm glad you found a solution to your problem.  Maybe you could post a picture of the final result so I could understand what it is you are trying to model. 

Also, I would bet that there are probably several good feature requests that you could come up with as a result of your exercise.  I would encourage you to send those in to us or post them on the suggestions forum so that we can get them into our database.