What is square in ceiling?

dshall

3 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

That appears to be a Bloom patch.  Turn off bloom or build a roof and it goes away.  Sorry I could not give a better answer.  You could call tech.

It wasn't the bloom.  I think this is the first time I have seen this.

38 minutes ago, dshall said:

It wasn't the bloom.

Is that ever strange.  I am sure that both of my suggestions worked the first time I tried but now I can't reproduce. It also did not show initially in Camera View Set and I went to All On Set but now that is not even working when I go back to Camera View it reappears.

Super mysterious.

Hi All,

A square shadow in the middle of a room's ceiling is a known issue that is associated with the default interior light.  If you add an actual light source (fixture or Added Light), it should go away. I know that our software developers are aware of this problem but make sure they've seen this thread, too.

The squares on the walls and floors, however, are another matter.  We haven't seen those before, so if you have a plan in which they are a problem, PLEASE send them to Technical Support using the Online Support Center at https://support.chiefarchitect.com.

Thanks!

37 minutes ago, Anne_S said:

Hi All,

A square shadow in the middle of a room's ceiling is a known issue that is associated with the default interior light.  If you add an actual light source (fixture or Added Light), it should go away. I know that our software developers are aware of this problem but make sure they've seen this thread, too.

The squares on the walls and floors, however, are another matter.  We haven't seen those before, so if you have a plan in which they are a problem, PLEASE send them to Technical Support using the Online Support Center at https://support.chiefarchitect.com.

Thanks!

I guess I'll do us all a favor send this in, but as I said before, those are caused by light sources in general and not just the default interior light.  Was able to very quickly and easily reproduce in the plan Scott attached.  The problem seems to be most prevalent when the light source is placed relatively close to an adjacent surface...

59b047ef8ac19_Lightboxes.thumb.png.82986f34b1533fc46b069e78bdf888c8.png

Light boxes.zip

2 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

I SEE THEM WITHOUT ANY LIGHTS IN THE PLAN.

You are probably seeing a lot more now without your dark glasses but is it a single square shadow like in Scott's plan file or all over like Michael and Eric have posted.  As Anne said the single one can be attributed to the default light, but if you are seeing more you may need to also send in a plan file.

9 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

I SEE THEM WITHOUT ANY LIGHTS IN THE PLAN.

I don't actually think that is possible Perry.  Rooms automatically get a default light source whether you want it or not.  Ironically, the only way I know to turn it off is to manually add another light source and then turn THAT light off.

Hi All,

Thanks for the additional information.  I am not sure if the ceiling shadow associated with the default interior light is the same problem as the one associated with point lights, but it certainly could be. 

I spoke to one of our software engineers, though, and learned that although they aren't "real objects", Added Lights do have a bounding box of some kind, and the surfaces of that box are capable of casting shadows when they interact with the surface of an actual object - basically, it's a type of Z fighting. It looks like you can avoid that problem if the Added Light in question is about 40" or more away from any surfaces.

I hope that helps - and thank you again for the additional details.

The attached screen shots show:

1. the default lighting that Chief uses to light the scene if the user has not added lighting.

2, 3 & 4. the same lighting with the camera moved slightly. You see the bounding box which can z-fight.

5. after adding lights. Chief's default light is not used.

default ltg normal.JPG

default ltg.JPG

Z-Fighting 2.JPG

Z-Fighting 3.JPG

Lts added.JPG

• Upvote 1