Changing DATA folder location?

Wyndgate

I recently installed CA Home Designer 2018 on a MAC running El Capitan (latest release) and need to know if I can change the default 'Home Designer Pro 2018 Data' folder to a differnt location? The software installation process installed it at the root of my 'Documents' folder and I do not want it here.

Hoping someone can help. No other software I have ever installed has invaded my DOCUMENTS folder and I use this folder as a breakout in the main menu bar on my system and do not want it cluttered with ANY folders I don't regularly use for my workflow. = pretty annoying Chief Architect does this as part of the install.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide on this situation.

You should probably ask this question on "HomeTalk" rather than "ChiefTalk".  That said, you should be able to move/copy the Data Folder to any other location on your system and set the path in Preferences.  But that's assuming that HD Pro has the same capabilities as Chief Architect Premier.

6 minutes ago, DavidJPotter said:

You had better call Tech Support for an actual answer to your question before doing that. I have never done as you request since 1994 and thus have had no problems. Tech Support is open M-F Pacific Hours (not week ends).

DJP

David,

I've been using this setup for a couple of years.  I put the Chief Data Folder in D:\Dropbox and then specified D:\Dropbox\Chief Architect Premier X9 Data\ in Preferences.  I have 3 systems that all have that location and they all sync so that anything changed on any of those systems is available on all of those systems.  Since I am the only one using the folder it doesn't need to be shared.

No big deal Joe, it was perhaps out of present time data that I am operating on: years ago I was told by Chief Inc not to move the auto installed folder in C:/ Windows/My Documents which I have adhered to ever since. Perhaps the coding has changed (I started with version 4 that ran on Windows 3.1). If it works for you, it works.

DJP

back with ver 9.5 and ver 10 I used a removal HD like I have done with all my other software since 1988

anytime I contacted tech support they pointed to that as the issue

I reinstalled ver 10 and have never since changed where Chief wants things

I didn't need the grief from tech support

maybe things have changed but I've had no interest in finding out

Lew