Callout Background Fill

Joe_Carrick

It seems to me that there used to be a way to have the background of a callout be a solid fill.  I don't seem to be able to do that in X9 for Doors, Windows, or Cameras.

If this is something that was lost then it needs to be put back.  If it wasn't there at all then it needs to be added.

5 hours ago, ACADuser said:

Sorry, that is an Autocad term.

Like Rich Text has a border and Fill option, the dimension text should also have a border and fill option.

Totally agree.  So should labels.  Its definitely something I've wanted to be able to do at times and would be a good one for the suggestion forum.

EDIT:   Since it's something I've wanted anyway I went ahead and posted a suggestion myself...

To do that, I think the Dimension Text and Labels would need to be "Rich Text".  As I recall, that is an option that's been requested before.;)

Chief's Room Labels do have that capability - but I'm not sure if they are RT or if CA used some other method to provide the Border and Fill.

2 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

To do that, I think the Dimension Text and Labels would need to be "Rich Text".  As I recall, that is an option that's been requested before.;)

Chief's Room Labels do have that capability - but I'm not sure if they are RT or if CA used some other method to provide the Border and Fill.

All standard text boxes can have a border and fill (set through the Attributes tab if I recall correctly).  

31 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

All standard text boxes can have a border and fill (set through the Attributes tab if I recall correctly).  

True, but I think that's just an addition that CA made (to the Text Box), not really a feature of "Text" per se.  IOW, they internally use a CAD Box (inside a CAD Window) and place the Text inside it.  It's kind of a cheap "Rich Text" where all the text still has to be a single font, color & size.

3 hours ago, ACADuser said:

Well I'll take any kind of Mask and Box they can give us.

Can't believe they don't have that feature after all these years of development.

Yeah, some of the limitations we have are pretty frustrating.  Here's a crappy workaround solution if you ever really find yourself needing the borders and fills for your dimensions...

5 hours ago, ACADuser said:

Sorry, that is an Autocad term.

Like Rich Text has a border and Fill option, the dimension text should also have a border and fill option.

We don't have a border, but we DO have a fill option. However, it only exists in the Defaults. Go there and uncheck transparent.

Dimension defaults.jpg

2 hours ago, ACADuser said:

You know the MASK is already there on dimensions.

Just select the dimension to move it & the MASK activates, and when you deselect it the MASK disappears.

That's just the text fill that both Richard and I pointed out.  I personally leave the fill on for most of my text styles unless I have a situation where I need it off.  Problem is that we can't add a border, we have no control over the margins, and we have no control over the fill style/color/transparency.  

Your text style must be set to transparent if you are experiencing that behavior.  You can select a custom Text style per dimension string if you have some selective changes to be made.  Ok that does not work the way I thought after double checking the functionality.  Sure seems like it should work ??

Edited by Chopsaw

54 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Problem is that we can't add a border, we have no control over the margins, and we have no control over the fill style/color/transparency.  

I'm trying to understand why not having a border is really an issue. I don't think I've ever seen borders used in dimensions, and I'm not sure why changing the fill color or transparency would be useful. I'm willing to be convinced, though. It just seems like a lot of hoopla for marginal benefits.

25 minutes ago, Richard_Morrison said:

I'm trying to understand why not having a border is really an issue. I don't think I've ever seen borders used in dimensions, and I'm not sure why changing the fill color or transparency would be useful. I'm willing to be convinced, though. It just seems like a lot of hoopla for marginal benefits.

Truth be told I have very rarely needed to do this with dimensions but there are absolutely situations where I've wanted to bring extra attention to certain dimensions and the border/fill would be a very good way to do this.  Anyway  labels are a different story...there are plenty of situations that could benefit from a border around a label.  

Necessary?  Probably not,  but as I'm sure you can appreciate...we all like to do things here and there to dress up our plans and add clarity wherever we can.  Borders just give us a way to both add a little class to our plans and more importantly they give us a good way to quickly differentiate one group of notations from the next.  

With reagrd to the fill color, I've personally never absolutely needed anything other than the background color but I could see where having a different color background might help if the notation is overlapping a busy scene such as right in front of shingles or brickwork.  Being able to set the fill transparency on the other hand seems like it would be a lot more universally useful.  There are plenty of situations where it would be nice (if not necessary) to see through to the objects below.  I'm sure you've had those busy framing plans where you need to have certain notations but it seems there's nowhere to put them that isn't covering some important detail.  Having no fill in those situations can make it very difficult to quickly find the notations but having semi transparent fill (with or without a border) can help give those notations a little pop without completing covering the structural details.  

I would post some examples but I'm away from my computer.