Cad Block fill problem

glennw

I am trying to use a cad block that contains fill and I am losing the fill from the cad block.

I have tried changing the CAD Blocks settings in the CAD panel of Preferences, but that doesn't help.

Any ideas?

The video explains the problem.

This is only true for Electrical Symbols.  If you check the "Duplex (Split Wired)" CAD Block you will find that even CA had to use lines for the fill.  I created my own Electrical Panel Symbol with a XHatch to simulate the fill so it would look better in a wall.

OTOH, CAD Blocks for other symbol types can have a Solid Fill and work fine.  I think the difference is that the CAD Block for Electrical Symbols are symbolic rather than a 2D representation of the 3D Object.

Joe,  How did you make the XHatch?   Totally confused now as I have never had fill retained with a 2D Cad block used for a symbol.  Just tried it on a fixture and would not work unless you want to use the symbol solid fill but that is a rather limited use.

You have to hatch a rectangle and then Block it.  The rectangle has the hatch, not the block itself.

Try this to see how CA does it.

1. Place an ADA Toilet Symbol
  2. Go to CAD Block Management and Insert the CAD Block
  3. Explode that Block and examine the individual objects to see what has a fill.

Of course, you have to have the "Fill Boxes Checked" in CAD Preferences.

• Upvote 1

Ok Thanks Joe,  That took a bit to figure out but I got it, There is a check box in the Symbol DBX,  Symbol Specifications>2D Block>"Use Original Plan Colors" down at the bottom that becomes available after you select "Fill". Or just realized the if the cad block has solid fill already you can edit the color with the fill options.  Unfortunately this is not an option for electrical symbols, so maybe I am still not understanding how you did your electrical panel if you built it as an electrical symbol ?

At least I now have a blue ADA toilet.

Blue ADA.jpg