pagoda roof design

AmritMa

You have presented a highly technical build and it may not be possible with the current software in that exact configuration.  However I have been working with another extremely talented user to try to find a solution for you.  I have also notified tech support so there may be help coming. Could you please make a copy of your original post and put it in the General Q & A department so we can get some more exposure and leave this here for anyone else that is brainstorming and following. Please also clarify your goals if you are hoping for full construction drawings or just a 3D model for illustration purposes.  Chief Architect is a highly adaptable software and great things quite often are discovered unexpectedly when great questions are asked like this one.  

Well thanks chopsaw.

This is the most challenging type of roof plane in chief, that I ever seen. Of course I knew that biaxially bent roofs was impossible to go with chief. 

But gave it a hard try and achieved a result that is one step down to what the OP asked.

Attached is a picture showing the results. This is one of the toughest ones to try in chief. I have been working with the Chopsaw(one of the best power users), I was just curious why chief was going so slow when I try to join those roof planes, so I tricked chief by manually dragging the roofs so close to each other and actually look like they are joined. I have done it by making use of base line angles as the pitch of the roof planes, pitch = 0 while the Curved roof angles has helped to bend the roof. Chopster confirmed me that, he also has the slowness behavior his side when roofs join to form actual ridges. The file had bloated to 757MB after chopsaw has joined those roof planes. Chopsaw will be better in explaing the details of what we have found and post the test plans of the technique I used to get that look in chief. 

Where's Bill Emery? I'd bet that Bill could pull off something close to that.

Many moons age he helped me pull off a swaybacked roof in Chief. His

approach involved curved invisible walls and Polyline Subtraction to form

curved roof edges. Seems like a similar approach might work here.

Swayback Plan.png

Polyline subtraction 1.jpg

Swayback-4.jpg

Swayback Framing.jpg

Here are the results of our collaboration so far.  

Still a little shy of perfect but some good progress in the right direction.

Suggestions, Comments, Questions, are all welcome.

Many thanks to Yusuf my technical adviser.

Preliminary Pagoda.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 8/28/2017 at 9:47 AM, Chopsaw said:

Here are the results of our collaboration so far.  

Still a little shy of perfect but some good progress in the right direction.

Suggestions, Comments, Questions, are all welcome.

Many thanks to Yusuf my technical adviser.

Preliminary Pagoda.jpg

Great work Chop.

That looks very nice, please explain how that works in chief, were you able to join all roofs without file getting too large?