Improve the barn roof intersect?

GeneDavis

An architect has done a plan for a new barn to be built adjacent an existing one.  Roofs are all to be 8:12 which is what the existing one has.

My rough model shows the way the roofs come together now, which does not seem right as for what it does with the valley and the existing rake end of the existing barn.

The new barn and the breezeway connector are the larger group shown on the right end of the plan.  Any suggestions to improve this are appreciated.

Untitled 1.jpg

Barn.plan

I have a very similar situation on an addition project I'm working on right now.  One thing I would take into consideration is how much water runoff you get in your area.  My original design which is very similar to what you've shown in your OP...

599891516ee8b_Option1.thumb.jpg.2c8a75f9f2411774d01c60665fe745c0.jpg

I wasn't exceedingly fond of the way it looks and it was going to take a fair amount of extra work so I modified it a bit per Eric's suggestion (a very good one by the way)...

59989406c168c_Option2.thumb.jpg.5dee9552c859414bb83618359b639ca9.jpg

One problem though is that we could get a lot of snow, ice, and water doing damage to that bottleneck area.  I'm currently a little torn.  Thanks Eric.  I'm putting that all on you : )

• 3 weeks later...

You guys will love this one.  The architect, when asked for specifics as to how the roof all goes together, replied that it should be built as I show here.

His sketch calls out the extension of the valley as a "structural fascia" from which the rafters are hung.

Untitled 3.jpg

Gene,

Why do you care and why are you making suggestions about the design? If you are the one building it, you may want to assure the constructibility for yourself, of course. I can't say this architect's roof design currently does much for me, but I don't know the whole story. Maybe there is a phase 2 with an interesting pergola that I don't know about, or maybe the owner has said to him, "do this as cheaply as possible."  I personally don't mind suggestions from a contractor, and welcome them, as long as these are in private discussions with me only. If a contractor unilaterally started showing roof alternatives to my client, it would be the last project that I ever did with that contractor. (And I would probably alert my other architect colleagues, as well.) In the past, I have had many hours of work getting the client to a solution, often delicately balancing competing interests between the husband and the wife and the City, that has been unraveled by "helpful" suggestions from a contractor. I hope that isn't the situation here.  

The owner is a foundation with a board, and no one on the board is paying much attention, except for the cost.  I do work for the contractor, modeling up the jobs with enough accuracy that he can use the material lists for cost estimating.  The first set of prints done by the archy was a floor play and four elevations, no roof plan, and you gotta admit this valley extension needs a little explanation when seen only in one elevation.

The roof is all trussed and the spanning valley adds cost the contractor felt was unnecessary, and so he suggested the cut roof or the dropped section.  The architect was asked for more detail so we could see his proposed arrangement.

It's a barn to be used for maintenance vehicle storage and maintenance, being attached to an existing 125-year-old barn.  The archy does big commercial work and this barn is a tossoff for him.  He has a relationship with one of the board members.