Wall Niche -- Summary

GerryT

I don't understand why a wall niche or blank door pass thru is such a difficult thing to program. I'm not a computer programmer though so that would explain it. While I don't like comparing softwares it is sometimes useful. In this case Softplan has figured out how to give you the ability to insert, cutting the hole in the wall, a niche of any size you want, set it however high off the floor, radius the top and/ or put trim around it. Same thing with a pass thru opening. If we can put a door into a wall then they know how to have that "thing" cut out the required area. A niche is basically the same "thing" except that it doesn't cut all the way through. Give me a few settings so I can get what I want and its off to the next thing. Chief is a very smart program thanks to a whole lot of very intelligent people. I'm sure they'll figure something out since these things are basic construction options. As I said though, I'm not a programmer so what do I know!

You don't have to be a programmer to be able to specify a feature requirement. It is up to the developers to figure out HOW. As an aside, sometimes it is better that the user NOT tell the developers HOW to implement, just WHAT is desired. Telling someone HOW to do something sometimes narrows or limits the scope of what is truly possible. Just a thought...

You don't have to be a programmer to be able to specify a feature requirement. It is up to the developers to figure out HOW. As an aside, sometimes it is better that the user NOT tell the developers HOW to implement, just WHAT is desired. Telling someone HOW to do something sometimes narrows or limits the scope of what is truly possible. Just a thought...

That can be very true however there are times when an ignorant suggestion of "how to" can spark the beginning of a solution as well. It really can work both ways. Since the feature hasn't been developed yet I can only surmise that either it isn't high on the priority list or they are still trying to figure out the how part. Either way it would be a very nice feature to have!

While I don't like comparing softwares it is sometimes useful. In this case Softplan has figured out how to give you the ability to insert, cutting the hole in the wall, a niche of any size you want, set it however high off the floor, radius the top and/ or put trim around it. Same thing with a pass thru opening. 

I see no problem comparing program features. If CA can leverage the best of what the competition offers we obviously get the best of what is available. Sometimes it is necessary to help CA understand what the users think is important. I suspect that most of the CA developers are 'heads down' implementing an already long list of user requests. As users, it is our responsibility to help CA constantly review the priorities of what is on the list or to add additional items high on the list. If CA learns about great features available in other programs from users that have experience with these programs the more likely they are to take the requests seriously. [rant off]  

I have been thinking about your method Gerry.  My approach is always minimal amount of cad work and anything I do,  if revised,  takes very little of my pea size brain to fix.

The big downsize of your method,  (sans door),  is the fact that you  still have wall fill where you put the new  NICHE SYMBOL.  And if the symbol gets moved down 12",  it just seems like a pain to fix.

I think I still like my method which employs a DOOR or WINDOW PASS THRU,  I can  put the symbol in the opening and it looks good in plan view since the wall fill does not cover symbol.  I understand I have to add a psolid at back for plan view to look good and for 3d to have correct materials.

But I do appreciate the vid.  I have used the WALL MATERIAL REGION tool very little to date,  and the video was a good reminder of it's capabilities.

Anyway,  I think we should have a designated NICHE TOOL so we can avoid these work arounds.

I agree and I rarely use any tool(s) the same way all the time.  This is just another possible option evolving (maybe overlooked) from several suggestions in the past.

My biggest complaint about Chief is that they tend to target their tools to specific instances and ignore other opportunities to expand the versatility of the tool. Programed limitations preventing huge benefits.

A niche tool or just the expansion of the Material Region would be welcome.