Need Help - Multiple Room Dimensions

DavyBoy

Apologies if this is not the correct area to post this sort of question, but it looked like the right place to get a good tip,  Can anyone make a suggestion regarding room labels?

I have a client who uses old-school (imperial) and modern (metric) measurements and wants to see room dimensions labelled with both.  I can turn on the room dimensions label and get it in either metric or imperial but not both.  I don't want to have to manually calculate for every room and then have to add the text, but at the moment I cannot find any other way to do it.

You can have primary and secondary units on a line, but not on a room.

Surely, this has come up before, but I cannot find any reference that helps.

Any ideas?

DB

34 minutes ago, glennw said:

That should be easily done with a macro.

Joe or Michael?

It could be done - but not easily - and not in the room dimensions supplied by Chief. 

The macro would have to be in a text box placed in the room.  In addition, it would be fairly complicated because Chief only supplies the room dimensions attribute to Ruby as a text string, not 2 numerical values.  Consequently the macro would have to divine the values by parsing the text, character by character.  That wouldn't be too hard if the plan is metric but if the plan is imperial it would be much more difficult

Definitely doable and Joe's price sounds more than fair for a custom macro like this.  If his doesn't work for you, shoot me an email at alaskansons@gmail.com and I'll see what I can do for you but I think he should be able to take care of you. 

2 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

it would be fairly complicated because Chief only supplies the room dimensions attribute to Ruby as a text string, not 2 numerical values.  Consequently the macro would have to divine the values by parsing the text, character by character.  That wouldn't be too hard if the plan is metric but if the plan is imperial it would be much more difficult

Joe, I'm not sure if you've realized this or not, but you can change the dimension format in Chief's default room label settings to change to decimal values and to remove the unit indicators.  This helps do the majority of the parsing for us.  As many times as I've been in and out of that room label dbx, I've somehow never noticed that tab before now.  And BTW, it seems to have zero affect on anything except for the room dimensions. 

2 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Joe, I'm not sure if you've realized this or not, but you can change the dimension format in Chief's default room label settings to change to decimal values and to remove the unit indicators.

I don't even need to do that.  It's not too difficult to parse (the .partition() method handles it fairly well)

7 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

I don't even need to do that.  It's not too difficult to parse (the .partition() method handles it fairly well)

Of course you don't NEED to.  I just personally think it makes the job a little easier is all.  Doing it that way all I need to do is .split("x") and I have an array with both pieces of the puzzle in easily usable decimal values that can be converted to floats and subsequently converted to the appropriate imperial and metric values.  That's just the method I would use though.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Alaskansons,

I've obviously missed something here and I'm still having problems.  The Macro installs ok and I can call it as part of the default room display

.dimexample.thumb.jpg.de9d7ca3f062c198b7f701a8489584ef.jpg

The problem is that it doesn't seem to reflect the actual dimensions of the room.  In the example shown, the room is 4500 long x 3100 deep and yet the macro shows it as 4294 and 2894 respectively.  I'm guessing that the macro uses dimensions from the interior but when I try to mirror that in the drawing, I get unpredictable results. I'm a complete newb at this and struggling.  Are there any other settings that I need to look at?

I work in mm for the plans, but understand the need for both dimensions but I seem to be having issues getting an interior size to be correct.  If I add a wall, click on the wall and modify the figure on the line, it seems to adjust the outside edges, but not the inside.  Maybe I'm doing it wrong?

Thanks for your hard work so far

David