Show 1st and 2nd floors roof on roof plan

aladdin

How can I display both 1st floor (i.e. porch, garage etc...) roofs at the same time as displaying my main second floor roof? In the past I have drawn the lower roof with cad lines but I am sure there is a better way. 

Thanks 

Aladdin 

Ref sets are used in two ways.  1. as a tool while you are working with the plan.  2. as a display function on the layout.  On the layout side, the ref set can be many different things as defined by how you set it up and what layer set you use as a ref set.

30 minutes ago, rlackore said:

You can also move all the roof planes to the same level by selecting each plane and using the Display on Floor Above and Display on Floor Below tools.

This is very true.

A downside to this is the framing shows on the floor level the roof plane is on. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, rlackore said:

Yes. But, that makes sense to me, because the roof framing plan usually reflects the roof plan.

Yea,  I get it.  

So you probably put both roofs on upper level so you can see the walls and headers that support the roof at upper lever and then for the lower roof you  probably use ref sets to show the lower floor walls but you probably put a white fill for the upper rooms so you do not see the lower floor walls that are under the second floor.

Both methods have their challenges.

• Upvote 1

I place the roof plan layout of the first floor on the page,

Select it, then cut and paste an identical layout box over it,

open that pasted box and change the Plan View Tab to the 2nd Floor.

I then extend the 2nd Floor Box right side all the way to the right of my layout page.

I then extend the 1st Floor Box top side all the way up to the top of my layout page.

The last two steps makes it easy for me to know which box I've selected if I need to change anything.  For instance, sometimes I will toggle additional interior walls to show if I need them to determine interior bearing locations, etc..

The attached picture shows a home with 3 levels.

• Box extended Left is 1st Floor Roof Layout
  • Box extended Up is 2nd Floor Roof Layout
  • Box extended Right is Attic Roof Layout

Hope this helps.

Capture ART-RoofLayoutBoxes.PNG

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, JiAngelo said:

I place the roof plan layout of the first floor on the page,

Select it, then cut and paste an identical layout box over it,

open that pasted box and change the Plan View Tab to the 2nd Floor.

I then extend the 2nd Floor Box right side all the way to the right of my layout page.

I then extend the 1st Floor Box top side all the way up to the top of my layout page.

The last two steps makes it easy for me to know which box I've selected if I need to change anything.  For instance, sometimes I will toggle additional interior walls to show if I need them to determine interior bearing locations, etc..

The attached picture shows a home with 3 levels.

• Box extended Left is 1st Floor Roof Layout
  • Box extended Up is 2nd Floor Roof Layout
  • Box extended Right is Attic Roof Layout

Hope this helps.

Capture ART-RoofLayoutBoxes.PNG

These are very good tips. I think that overlapped views are a widely underused technique with a lot of uses.