Why does Chief's own print driver create such large files?

Ridge_Runner

When I print to PDF using Chief's own internal print driver the file sizes are huge - usually around 10x the size of the ones I print using CutePDF. Chief's driver is better in some ways. I am getting light areas, usually in the center portion of a view, using CutePDF that Chief does not create. I hatch the upper cabinets using Chief's driver and sometimes some of the hatch will disappear - always random. CutePDF doesn't do this. Chief's PDF file sizes are almost prohibitive for me to send out to emails, outside engineering, print shops, lumber yards etc. I have a DSL line but it is still too sloooooow on uploads. Uploading to dropbox takes forever when Chief's PDFs are 40 to 50+ MB, which most of mine are lately. I normally don't include PDF's in my layouts; all plot line views and CAD details.

I searched the forum and did not find any solution offered to this dilemma. Has anyone found a "cure?"

If not, what PDF print software would you recommend I look at without spending a fortune? I don't want to spend $500 in this area.

Thanks in advance. Mike

Just ran a test for the first time on a big layout file and Adobe Acrobat printed it with a 53% smaller file size and cleaned up some issues Chief was having but also created other problems so I am not sure if I am any further ahead.

After creating pdf with Chief printer driver, I open it in Bluebeam Revu. There's a tool to reduce the file size in Bluebeam which works great. I haven't tried creating a pdf in Chief using the Bluebeam driver in awhile. Last time I tried the quality was not good.  Bluebeam Revu also has great markup tools we use frequently. 

3 hours ago, DianneDSC said:

After creating pdf with Chief printer driver, I open it in Bluebeam Revu. There's a tool to reduce the file size in Bluebeam which works great. I haven't tried creating a pdf in Chief using the Bluebeam driver in awhile. Last time I tried the quality was not good.  Bluebeam Revu also has great markup tools we use frequently. 

That's odd. I use BB a lot for printing and get larger files from it than I do from Chief's pdf printer?  Never had a quality issue either. I may have some setting inside BB higher though since I often have to convert something to an image format and set what I could for high quality. I also use the reduce file size feature a lot.

I can't say it is the best as I haven't tried the rest

but I still use PDF995 which use to come with Chief

I paid the $9.95 or was it $19.95 to get the entire suite of tools (which I rarely use being retired)

and to stop getting the pop-up ads (never were that annoying)

I create PDF's for my historical research for web captures and saving orders and a zillion other reasons

Lew

2 hours ago, Gawdzira said:

What is your resolution output in each of the printers?

600 dpi on both. I guess that is because I had that set to match the output of my old HP 755CM plotter, which I still use; haven't changed that setting for years. I never lowered the dpi thinking the output would suffer in clarity. So, does 144 dpi for 24x36 prints work OK? One thing I can't stand is "fuzzy" line work! Unless, of course, that's what I intended. :)

Did some additional testing. At 144 dpi using Chief's PDF print driver, I get an "information icon" in the preview window saying, "Printer DPI is low: 144 DPI." Using that setting it only dropped Chief's created file from 34.6 MB to 34.59 MB - no real change. In CutePDF, using the 144 dpi, I get the same information icon but it drops the file size down from 3.3 MB (at 600 dpi) to 2.0 MB - significant change. Just using Acrobat Reader DC to view the files, I notice line quality issues on the circles, especially the door labels, in both plan and elevations (several vertices instead of full circles). I haven't actually printed a lower dpi drawing yet but will do that before long so I don't know if that will carry thru to the printed output or is just showing on the screen.

Thanks to those who have responded so far.

If there are some of you who have used Bluebeam and Adobe Acrobat, would you be so kind as to share what you believe are the major pros and cons of each? I noticed Bluebeam has a "CAD" version listed for Architects, Engineers, CAD users; is that one really different, or just "window dressing?"

Thanks

4 hours ago, Ridge_Runner said:

If there are some of you who have used Bluebeam and Adobe Acrobat, would you be so kind as to share what you believe are the major pros and cons of each? I noticed Bluebeam has a "CAD" version listed for Architects, Engineers, CAD users; is that one really different, or just "window dressing?"

Thanks

Been too long since I used Adobe (back when it was Distiller- maybe 20 years?) to comment on differences.

I do a lot more with PDFs than just print so get my moneys worth out of BB - my second favorite program next to Chief. I have used every free pdf anything out there and owned 3 other paid versions besides Distiller before BB.

I bought Standard Version in 2010 ($150 then), upgraded once ($90) added a 2nd license with a newer version in 2015 ($250). I see it's gone up even since then ($350).

The CAD version only makes sense with ACAD, Revit, Solid Works, and SU-maybe one or two other programs and even then I'm not so sure I would care about integration. (unless it could do layers but I think that has more to do with the program export than integration)

FWIW

Took the Modern Bungalow plan
Blue Beam 10 mb, reduce file siz went to 3.33 mb
Chief pdf-3.69 mb, rduce file size 2.55 mb

Images degrade a good bit but lines are just fine.

Also ran a test on my one of my own

printed at 600 dpi of a 15 page 11 x 17, color, assorted fills some with transparency, half a dozen images in standard render; layout file is only 2.8 mb; references two plan files 39mb and 43 mb. The images I have in it are higher DPI than the bungalow plan so show don't show nearly as much degradation as that does in images. Again lines are just fine

Chief pdf file-2.74 mb

BB file-5.35

No noticeable quality difference when zoomed in.

Used reduce file size on both in BB.

Chief file-1.06 MB

BB file- 1.29 MB

I've got no idea what would happen to your giant files but might download a trial version and seee.

Modern Bungalow CA.pdf

Modern Bungalow CA reduced2.pdf

Dug up a 20 page 24 x 36 bid doc I had on the machine -B & W, no images just drawings and text, no embedded fonts. Looks to have been printed in Adobe on a Mac, original file in ACAD- can't access the DPI setting.

File size 17.9 mb

Reduce file size in BB came to 11.8 mb

I dont know if this info helps, but I cannot print Chief files to my large office multi-purpose laser directly since the file size Chief sends is crazy large and crashes the printer.  If I use Chief PDF, print, open in Acrobat the same file prints to the printer no problem.

If I use Acrobat to print, for some reason the Chief file is all images if I use transparencies or other fill types.

SUPER hassle.

Another observation. If I view the 144 dpi CutePDF file in Acrobat Reader DC I get the selectable "blue boxes" as I click thru the plan view. These are the areas where the view shows, and prints, lighter than surrounding areas. Sometimes it is not too bad and other times it is unacceptable. I don't get the tiled blue boxes in plot line elevations or CAD views - just plan views. Chief's PDF print driver does not do this. Strange.

33 minutes ago, Ridge_Runner said:

Mark, are you using BB as a print driver from Chief or just reducing Chief's file size post production?

I've been using BB as my default printer for everything. Only began occasionally using CA pdf printer occasionally in X9. Only use reduce size if needed. 

I will chime in with another odd one.  Chief generated PDF file size of 12mb.  Open chief and change one door to swing a different direction.  Use chief to generate PDF again just like the first time.  File size grew to 23mb.  Go back to chief, add another detail to plan with a lot of cad lines and notes.  Use chief to generate PDF again and this time it is back to 12mb.

I have been using the free BullZip PDF Printer for a while now with no issues after having problems with PDF995 "disappearing" and with CutePDF trying to add "other junk" ... give it a try , as I haven't taken particular notice of File Sizes but I probably aren't producing Large ConDoc Sets like most of you either...

http://www.bullzip.com/products/pdf/info.php

22 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Trust me Chief does this too. 

Hey, Chopsaw. I guess I should have said, "I haven't seen this on Chief's PDF's; your results, of course, may vary." ;) I remember reading that thread but didn't remember the incident with CA generated PDFs. Thanks for the clarification.