How to level a driveway widthwise

bddemers

Anyone know how to quickly level a driveway widthwise? I have a curved driveway that slopes over the length of it, which is ok, I only want to level it by width. The modifier 'level region(cut/fill)' doesn't work because it levels the entire driveway over length and width. If I do small sections at a time it will look choppy.

Also a separate question. Can I select an area to modify that already exists? like if I click on the entire driveway and want to use that shape to modify instead of clicking a modifier first and having to create a poly line matching an existing shape I have already made? 599071d35acc2_ScreenShot2017-08-10at4_59_35PM.thumb.png.c515c243b739bca4463ebdde5bdc25e2.png599071cd1b93d_ScreenShot2017-08-10at5_00_37PM.thumb.png.3c9b960906e64314e05652eb16f27075.png

Thanks for any help.

Brian D

You level the driveway by leveling the terrain since the driveway follows the slope of the terrain. So I would insert flat regions along the width of the driveway which once properly adjusted leaves the terrain sloping that the driveway relative to itself, flat over its width. I am not saying this is "easy" but is the way to address it.

59 minutes ago, bddemers said:

Also a separate question. Can I select an area to modify that already exists? like if I click on the entire driveway and want to use that shape to modify instead of clicking a modifier first and having to create a poly line matching an existing shape I have already made?

Not sure what you mean, by "select an area" do you mean of a terrain object like a driveway, if that is your question then the answer is "NO". Terrain and those features that rest on terrain are affected by terrain elevation objects only, there currently is no other method.

DJP

• Upvote 2

I could be wrong here because I don't work with terrains very often and as such they are probably my weakest area in Chief, but...doesn't a Road automatically level the terrain?  Have you tried using a road instead of a driveway?  I don't know, it's just a thought.  

Just another quick tip worth mentioning - which i got from Glenn - i started using elevation regions (only) instead of topo lines and Chief handles these 1000% better.  I realize its not "as" accurate (close enough for most things), but Chief deals with other objects way smoother if they're are built with Chief interpolated topo over "hard" actual topo.  I just make a few elevation regions from the area between what would be topo lines.

Does this make sense?  Again, Glenn showed me this and helped immensely.

9 hours ago, DavidJPotter said:

Yes, a "Road" object does but not a "Driveway": two different objects programmed differently. The OP is asking about a poly-line driveway, and not a straight "Road" object.

DJP

I'm back at the computer now and I can see that although roads and driveways do have a number of capabilities that set them apart from each other, there appears to be very little difference between a road and a driveway in this particular regard.  I thought only roads cut and filled the terrain to remain flat along their width, but my my memory/assumption was incorrect...both roads and driveways behave in the exact same way...

• Straight roads and driveways remain flat along their width
  • Spline roads and driveways remain flat along their width
  • Polyline roads and driveways conform to the terrain

Just use one of the first 2 and you should be good to go.  As Glenn pointed out, a spline driveway (or road) would work, but a straight driveway would have actually worked just fine for this particular instance as well.  Just draw multiple sections, fillet corners, convert lines to arcs etc.  Just edit like any CAD object to create the desired path shape.  This was drawn using the straight driveway tool...

Driveway.thumb.jpg.94f1026e766630a28319bfab6f05a18f.jpg

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I'm back at the computer now and I can see that although roads and driveways do have a number of capabilities that set them apart from each other, there appears to be very little difference between a road and a driveway in this particular regard.  I thought only roads cut and filled the terrain to remain flat along their width, but my my memory/assumption was incorrect...both roads and driveways behave in the exact same way...

• Straight roads and driveways remain flat along their width
  • Spline roads and driveways remain flat along their width
  • Polyline roads and driveways conform to the terrain

Just use one of the first 2 and you should be good to go.  As Glenn pointed out, a spline driveway (or road) would work, but a straight driveway would have actually worked just fine for this particular instance as well.  Just draw multiple sections, fillet corners, convert lines to arcs etc.  Just edit like any CAD object to create the desired path shape.  This was drawn using the straight driveway tool...

Driveway.thumb.jpg.94f1026e766630a28319bfab6f05a18f.jpg

This is good to know.  I could have saved much time for other projects by avoiding polyline roads.  Sometimes though, a driveway does not have parallel or concentric edges.  That is where things get fun.

• 3 months later...

Given a better understanding of the behavior of these options, is there a way one can set a slope for a straight road/driveway or a spline road/driveway segment.  The application would be a design slope which ultimately defines the degree of cut and fill.  Or, is this too much to ask at this point?  

35 minutes ago, stephenbc said:

Given a better understanding of the behavior of these options, is there a way one can set a slope for a straight road/driveway or a spline road/driveway segment.  The application would be a design slope which ultimately defines the degree of cut and fill.  Or, is this too much to ask at this point?  

Yes likely you are asking a bit too much however there is almost always a way to accomplish what you need. Can you provide a little more information about the project ?  Maybe what you have done so far and what your goals are and the shape of the road or driveway.

I'm wondering if one could simply draw a road and set its slope based on its segment length?  I don't see a dialogue box option to set a slope angle for the whole road segment, especially if it has many points along it's length.  

I'm looking at the potential design of a concrete drive that is about 250' long. Main restriction is maximum slope (code), but would like some sections less steep than others...basically it would be to accommodate code and aesthetics.

8 minutes ago, stephenbc said:

I'm looking at the potential design of a concrete drive that is about 250' long. Main restriction is maximum slope (code), but would like some sections less steep than others...basically it would be to accommodate code and aesthetics.

Unfortunately, in Chief we dont have any control grade/slope settings of the road/driveway modifier that I know of. You'd have to manually do the calcs and set the terrain to make it work.

If you want it straight and true like a runway use a polyline solid and work the terrain to it. You can accurately tilt it in degrees and join sections together as the slope changes. Just remember to draw it in elevation view and don't forget the expansion joints. Or use the terrain tools and a Polyline Road/Driveway as Johnny just suggested.

• 10 months later...