Blank area in hatching @ wall breaks

GTdraftingdesign

Hi,

I used "wall break" on a section of an exterior wall to make way for a balloon wall. The break occurred (on the exterior wall) where the center of interior wall intersects the exterior. There is a symbol that shows the wall break which look like a V @ the wall break. When I hatch 2x6 walls, a blank spot in the hatching is left behind where this symbol occurs. How do I fix this?

wallbreak.jpg

I hatched another wall (that had a wall break in it) using a solid hatch and quickly realized that the blank spot might occur because the wall connections at the corners in plan view are mitered. I looked around online and help in chief architect and cannot find how to change the mitered appearance in plan view. How do i change the way miter appears in plan view?

wallhatch2.jpg

I originally tried that. Seems like Chief's default for wall corners is to miter them together. I did find that I could select the hatch (in plan view) and pull the end nodes way from the miter. However, to pull the hatch nodes into the miter does not work. The hatch just snaps back to the miter. Is there a default setting somewhere where i can change the way corner walls connect in plan view?

wallhatch.jpg

Seems maybe you have found a weakness of the wall hatch tool maybe.  You can get the hatch to fill the corner the way you want but you will have to drag the interior drywall layer all the way through the wall intersection which is going to cause problems with your model.

Wall hatch.jpg

Are you still on X8? (Please add your version to your signature.) If so, there is no fix. In X9, hatches at intersections were improved significantly. But, in any case, if it's just an intersection or two, I would just throw a small matching 2D rectangle with fill over that intersection. 

I am using x9. I've messed with the hatching for hours and hours and cannot find a way to fix the hatching problem. Even using hating within the wall definitions produces similar results near the wall break. I think what is happening is that Chief Architect (in plan view) miters the walls. So, near the break lines where walls intersect perpendicular, the miter is still present. There seems to be no way to choose how the walls intersect (in plan view). The interesting thing about all of this ... when I click on a wall in plan view, you can see that the miter is removed and the wall clearly shows as a normal wall. If that makes sense.

25 minutes ago, GTdraftingdesign said:

I need a balloon wall. So, I should instead of breaking the wall, add another wall definition in place of the wall that I sectioned out for balloon framing?

Just use a 2D hatch and be done with it. It still would be helpful for the future if you would add your version to your signature. You can do this in your account settings.

• 6 months later...
17 minutes ago, jacquesss said:

Sorry for asking here. Been trying for hours... Really. How does the OP get the hatching to have the same angle even if the wall changes angle? Do you define a new wall style for every new wall angle?

You should only need TWO different wall types or use the Hatch Wall tool and 2 different hatch patterns.  Off angle walls would be trickier though and would require a custom hatch pattern.

4 minutes ago, Richard_Morrison said:

Wall hatching has been problematic for a long time, and since I've been complaining about it, not much has been done. (Well it did improve a bit for X9.)  For some real fun, try putting a wall niche into a hatched wall in X10.

That's bizarre.  I hadn't seen that one yet.  I hope you've reported that?

BTW Richard, as a workaround for now (in case you haven't discovered it already), you can just get into the habit of placing 3 Wall hatches in these situations...one for one side of the niche, one for the opposite side of the niche, and one for the niche area.  An obvious pain of course, but at least its something.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

I believe Richard's problems with wall niches were fixed a long time ago.

If you have problems with 3 or more wall intersecting leaving a gap with wall hatching, you should be able to correct this using the Edit Wall Layer Intersections tool.  If this is not your problem, then you should contact our tech support team.

1 hour ago, Dermot said:

I believe Richard's problems with wall niches were fixed a long time ago.

If you have problems with 3 or more wall intersecting leaving a gap with wall hatching, you should be able to correct this using the Edit Wall Layer Intersections tool.  If this is not your problem, then you should contact our tech support team.

Thx, but that tool did not work, so I contacted your team, they are looking into it for perhaps another release